closed eye, second lid?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:00 pm

sorry for the graphic pic. I'm starting to think this should have been posted on the 'advanced' forum.

Scooter is doing really good though. I'll keep everyone updated throughout the next three days.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Poor skink... Not sure what more experienced members might say, but could it possibly be best to get her off the aspen to make sure any slivers don't get wedged in there?
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes, good suggestion. The vet advised she be on a towel, or paper towels until the eye clears up.
Her temporary tank has a towel for substrate :)
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Postby Karen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm

I hope her recovery is a speedy one... That picture of the eye sure makes me squirm just looking at it, so I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be for her.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 pm

I nearly had a heart attack at the "the eye is gone" part. What a terrifying moment. I hope everything gets better quickly. Poor skinker, but so lucky to have a great skink-parent.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:29 pm

My heart stopped at the eye is gone. It litterly stopped.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Thank you for your care and concerns. Yes, "the eye is gone" comment was very scary.!!!!
I literally had to hold on to the table when he said that. My poor little skink! I couldn't imagine how her eye could just disintegrate (those were my thoughts at that moment) in a few days time.???

I then blamed myself, thinking what a horrible skink mom I am. Only 4 months and I managed to lose my skinks eye!

I'm just very hopeful that these medications will help.
Poor Skinker as Fatal_S said.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm glad you got Scooter to the vet. I didn't like the look of that from the beginning.

Would you mind giving information as to which medications have been prescribed, dosages and frequency of administration? Also, if you know, Scooter's approximate weight. I am particularly interested in the oral anti (?) inflammatory. Any information would be much appreciated. :nerd:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Postby ssr » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:19 am

I hope she has a very speedy recovery.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 pm

El Lobo wrote:I'm glad you got Scooter to the vet. I didn't like the look of that from the beginning.

Would you mind giving information as to which medications have been prescribed, dosages and frequency of administration? Also, if you know, Scooter's approximate weight. I am particularly interested in the oral anti (?) inflammatory. Any information would be much appreciated. :nerd:


Sure :)

Here are the medications that she is on:
METACAM (anti-inflammatory) - 0.06cc orally, once a day
sorry I don't have much info on the METACAM since it came from a much larger bottle I only have a few ml given to me
FLURBIPROFEN - Sodium Ophthalmic Solution 0.03% (anti-inflammatory) one drop 3 times a day
CIPROFLAXACIN 0.3% (antibiotic) one drop 3 times a day
Puralube Ointment (sterile ocular lubricant) apply small amount three times a day

Scooter was weighed at the Vet but I didn't catch the number. I will weigh her at home in a little bit and re-post. She is only a year old and the Vet said it was a healthy weight: if that helps at all :)

I just applied the 2nd dosage of drops and lube, and gave her the oral anti inflammatory. The eye hasn't visually changed much at all; but it is only day 1 of treatment.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm

weight - 10.05 oz about 0.7 lbs rounded up
She is eating a lot less since it's that time of year.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Postby El Lobo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 am

Thank you for the reply.

I only asked about the weight as that is how medication doses are calculated.

I'm very pleased to see your vet prescribed Metacam. Not only is it an anti-inflammatory but also addresses pain. It belongs to the N.S.A.I.D. (non-steroidal anto-inflammatory drug) family of drugs. Too many vets will not prescribe anything for pain relief in the misguided belief they will mask symptoms. Your's is the kind of vet I would stay with.

Good luck with Scooter.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Scooter_in_Kindergarten
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
Country:
Location: Central Florida

Postby Scooter_in_Kindergarten » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you for the info on the anti-inflamatory El Lobo :) It is nice to know it is a painkiller as well and that I have made a good choice in Vet care. I'm however still thinking about getting a second opinion.

This is day 2 of treatment and the 3rd 24 hour cycle of the Metacam. The eye has made NO visible changes. It still looks like the picture I posted after the visit.

The vet tech said when he was explaining the medications, it should be okay after 3 days.

What is you guy's opinion? Do you think that by at least the 2nd day you would see some visual signs of healing?
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, whether you should see some visual signs of healing by now. I'm afraid not many have experienced an eye-injury that severe.
I was thinking though, that there might be a veterinary ophthalmologist in your area. You might want to check.
We thankfully have one close by that I took Joey to when he was having problems. Not every vet would think to refer you if they think they have a handle on the problem, so you may want to investigate.

If the vet said you should see improvement by now, you may want to give him a call and ask what he suggests now. And at that time you can also ask about a veterinary ophthalmic specialist.

Good luck with everything.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 198 guests