closed eye, second lid?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
I nearly had a heart attack at the "the eye is gone" part. What a terrifying moment. I hope everything gets better quickly. Poor skinker, but so lucky to have a great skink-parent.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
Thank you for your care and concerns. Yes, "the eye is gone" comment was very scary.!!!!
I literally had to hold on to the table when he said that. My poor little skink! I couldn't imagine how her eye could just disintegrate (those were my thoughts at that moment) in a few days time.???
I then blamed myself, thinking what a horrible skink mom I am. Only 4 months and I managed to lose my skinks eye!
I'm just very hopeful that these medications will help.
Poor Skinker as Fatal_S said.
I literally had to hold on to the table when he said that. My poor little skink! I couldn't imagine how her eye could just disintegrate (those were my thoughts at that moment) in a few days time.???
I then blamed myself, thinking what a horrible skink mom I am. Only 4 months and I managed to lose my skinks eye!
I'm just very hopeful that these medications will help.
Poor Skinker as Fatal_S said.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
I'm glad you got Scooter to the vet. I didn't like the look of that from the beginning.
Would you mind giving information as to which medications have been prescribed, dosages and frequency of administration? Also, if you know, Scooter's approximate weight. I am particularly interested in the oral anti (?) inflammatory. Any information would be much appreciated.
Would you mind giving information as to which medications have been prescribed, dosages and frequency of administration? Also, if you know, Scooter's approximate weight. I am particularly interested in the oral anti (?) inflammatory. Any information would be much appreciated.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
ssr
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 964
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Iowa
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
El Lobo wrote:I'm glad you got Scooter to the vet. I didn't like the look of that from the beginning.
Would you mind giving information as to which medications have been prescribed, dosages and frequency of administration? Also, if you know, Scooter's approximate weight. I am particularly interested in the oral anti (?) inflammatory. Any information would be much appreciated.
Sure
Here are the medications that she is on:
METACAM (anti-inflammatory) - 0.06cc orally, once a day
sorry I don't have much info on the METACAM since it came from a much larger bottle I only have a few ml given to me
FLURBIPROFEN - Sodium Ophthalmic Solution 0.03% (anti-inflammatory) one drop 3 times a day
CIPROFLAXACIN 0.3% (antibiotic) one drop 3 times a day
Puralube Ointment (sterile ocular lubricant) apply small amount three times a day
Scooter was weighed at the Vet but I didn't catch the number. I will weigh her at home in a little bit and re-post. She is only a year old and the Vet said it was a healthy weight: if that helps at all
I just applied the 2nd dosage of drops and lube, and gave her the oral anti inflammatory. The eye hasn't visually changed much at all; but it is only day 1 of treatment.
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Thank you for the reply.
I only asked about the weight as that is how medication doses are calculated.
I'm very pleased to see your vet prescribed Metacam. Not only is it an anti-inflammatory but also addresses pain. It belongs to the N.S.A.I.D. (non-steroidal anto-inflammatory drug) family of drugs. Too many vets will not prescribe anything for pain relief in the misguided belief they will mask symptoms. Your's is the kind of vet I would stay with.
Good luck with Scooter.
I only asked about the weight as that is how medication doses are calculated.
I'm very pleased to see your vet prescribed Metacam. Not only is it an anti-inflammatory but also addresses pain. It belongs to the N.S.A.I.D. (non-steroidal anto-inflammatory drug) family of drugs. Too many vets will not prescribe anything for pain relief in the misguided belief they will mask symptoms. Your's is the kind of vet I would stay with.
Good luck with Scooter.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
Thank you for the info on the anti-inflamatory El Lobo
It is nice to know it is a painkiller as well and that I have made a good choice in Vet care. I'm however still thinking about getting a second opinion.
This is day 2 of treatment and the 3rd 24 hour cycle of the Metacam. The eye has made NO visible changes. It still looks like the picture I posted after the visit.
The vet tech said when he was explaining the medications, it should be okay after 3 days.
What is you guy's opinion? Do you think that by at least the 2nd day you would see some visual signs of healing?
This is day 2 of treatment and the 3rd 24 hour cycle of the Metacam. The eye has made NO visible changes. It still looks like the picture I posted after the visit.
The vet tech said when he was explaining the medications, it should be okay after 3 days.
What is you guy's opinion? Do you think that by at least the 2nd day you would see some visual signs of healing?
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, whether you should see some visual signs of healing by now. I'm afraid not many have experienced an eye-injury that severe.
I was thinking though, that there might be a veterinary ophthalmologist in your area. You might want to check.
We thankfully have one close by that I took Joey to when he was having problems. Not every vet would think to refer you if they think they have a handle on the problem, so you may want to investigate.
If the vet said you should see improvement by now, you may want to give him a call and ask what he suggests now. And at that time you can also ask about a veterinary ophthalmic specialist.
Good luck with everything.
I was thinking though, that there might be a veterinary ophthalmologist in your area. You might want to check.
We thankfully have one close by that I took Joey to when he was having problems. Not every vet would think to refer you if they think they have a handle on the problem, so you may want to investigate.
If the vet said you should see improvement by now, you may want to give him a call and ask what he suggests now. And at that time you can also ask about a veterinary ophthalmic specialist.
Good luck with everything.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests
