Nutrition of Different Worms?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Nutrition of Different Worms?
Could red worm or earthworms be bred in the same area without problems?
Last edited by LarissaLurid on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
if they require similar conditions i dont see why not
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Richard.C wrote:if they require similar conditions i dont see why not
Is one healthier than the other?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Also I heard some people squeeze the dirt out of them? I wouldn't really want to do that..is it necessary?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
No squeezing dirt out of them 
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.

Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.
All the Bluegill I have caught says differently.
Brad
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
When Lucifer_Spades taught me how to catch and clean worms we did squeeze the dirt/poop out and wash them before feeding them off to the skinks.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
squeezing the dirt out of them will render them not healthy anymore,lol
im not sure on if any are better nutritionally than the others,shouldnt need to squeeze dirt out of them i wouldnt imagine though,wouldnt that also lose what if any of the goodness in them to
im not sure on if any are better nutritionally than the others,shouldnt need to squeeze dirt out of them i wouldnt imagine though,wouldnt that also lose what if any of the goodness in them to
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Pretty sure the dirt isn't the healthy part of the worm...
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
but how do u squeeze it out,doesnt more than dirt come out of them,sorry never heard of squeezing dirt out of them,just sounds odd to me
i thought what animals eat is what makes them a good dietry animal for other animals,you are what you eat,i guess worms would taste like dirt though,lol,is the squeezing of dirt out so the lizard doesnt consume said dirt?
i thought what animals eat is what makes them a good dietry animal for other animals,you are what you eat,i guess worms would taste like dirt though,lol,is the squeezing of dirt out so the lizard doesnt consume said dirt?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
I'm not really sure why she cleaned them out, personal preference I suppose. It just takes out the dirt they've been eating (human-powered gut-flush). You are what you eat more because of the nutrients you absorb from it as opposed to because it's sitting in your intestines at the moment.
I don't personally do it when I feed worms, but I was shown how.
I don't personally do it when I feed worms, but I was shown how.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
k,fair enough,maybe fear of gut impaction from the dirt was my thinking,just hadnt heard of anyone doing that before
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
ReptileKing wrote:xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.
All the Bluegill I have caught says differently.
Woops
Well... Bluegill are weird...
I meant to say most lizards prefer Earthworms. Redworms seem to have an unappealing taste to them.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.
yea i read about that right after posting lol. i'm definitely going with earthworms.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Richard.C wrote:but how do u squeeze it out,doesnt more than dirt come out of them,sorry never heard of squeezing dirt out of them,just sounds odd to me
i thought what animals eat is what makes them a good dietry animal for other animals,you are what you eat,i guess worms would taste like dirt though,lol,is the squeezing of dirt out so the lizard doesnt consume said dirt?
I have no idea, I have never heard it until i was looking at some forum last night. that's why I asked to see if anyone else has even heard of that. I wouldn't want to be squeezing worms though...
I know it's weird, but I respect the worms and insects too, I just want them to hopefully die as instantly as possible when eaten, not me hurting them by squeezing everything out. Is this necessary or not? The washing I'm fine with.
Last edited by LarissaLurid on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
I've heard dew worms / nightcrawlers are healthier for reptiles than red wrigglers. I feed them, I don't squeeze dirt out of them but the way I buy them they some in dirt so I rinse the dirt off the outside of them first.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Katrina wrote:I've heard dew worms / nightcrawlers are healthier for reptiles than red wrigglers. I feed them, I don't squeeze dirt out of them but the way I buy them they some in dirt so I rinse the dirt off the outside of them first.
yea i heard there's a diff between red wrigglers and red worms apparently, where some like red worms but i guess red wrigglers taste really bad from what ive heard.
since nothing seem significantly more healthful than earthworms and they are easy to get I'll just go with those.
squeezing them out isn't necessary then? is it really that much dirt inside anyway?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
Redworms(Eisenia foetida) indeed are distasteful to many herps-crush one and then smell it. Some gartersnake folk claim they kill gartersnakes but I haven't looked to deeply into it. Suppose if y'all are using them they must not be a problem.
If you really want to gut load earthworms you could put them in a mix of about 50/50 crushed limestome(calcium powder, whatever), and topsoil for a few days. Then when they are fed they will have a very good Ca:P ratio.
If you really want to gut load earthworms you could put them in a mix of about 50/50 crushed limestome(calcium powder, whatever), and topsoil for a few days. Then when they are fed they will have a very good Ca:P ratio.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?
critterguy wrote:Redworms(Eisenia foetida) indeed are distasteful to many herps-crush one and then smell it. Some gartersnake folk claim they kill gartersnakes but I haven't looked to deeply into it. Suppose if y'all are using them they must not be a problem.
If you really want to gut load earthworms you could put them in a mix of about 50/50 crushed limestome(calcium powder, whatever), and topsoil for a few days. Then when they are fed they will have a very good Ca:P ratio.
yea im not going to even try red worms, just to be safe. plus earth worms are easier to come across. i want to breed them in the future, but how much limestone would i add then? (not just for gut loading, but them to live in)
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 219 guests
