Nutrition of Different Worms?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Could red worm or earthworms be bred in the same area without problems?
Last edited by LarissaLurid on Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 pm

if they require similar conditions i dont see why not
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Richard.C wrote:if they require similar conditions i dont see why not


Is one healthier than the other?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Also I heard some people squeeze the dirt out of them? I wouldn't really want to do that..is it necessary?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:59 pm

No squeezing dirt out of them :nono:
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them :nono:
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.

All the Bluegill I have caught says differently.
Brad
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 pm

When Lucifer_Spades taught me how to catch and clean worms we did squeeze the dirt/poop out and wash them before feeding them off to the skinks.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm

squeezing the dirt out of them will render them not healthy anymore,lol

im not sure on if any are better nutritionally than the others,shouldnt need to squeeze dirt out of them i wouldnt imagine though,wouldnt that also lose what if any of the goodness in them to
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Pretty sure the dirt isn't the healthy part of the worm...
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:34 pm

but how do u squeeze it out,doesnt more than dirt come out of them,sorry never heard of squeezing dirt out of them,just sounds odd to me

i thought what animals eat is what makes them a good dietry animal for other animals,you are what you eat,i guess worms would taste like dirt though,lol,is the squeezing of dirt out so the lizard doesnt consume said dirt?
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm not really sure why she cleaned them out, personal preference I suppose. It just takes out the dirt they've been eating (human-powered gut-flush). You are what you eat more because of the nutrients you absorb from it as opposed to because it's sitting in your intestines at the moment.

I don't personally do it when I feed worms, but I was shown how.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:54 pm

k,fair enough,maybe fear of gut impaction from the dirt was my thinking,just hadnt heard of anyone doing that before
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:57 am

ReptileKing wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them :nono:
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.

All the Bluegill I have caught says differently.

Woops :lol:
Well... Bluegill are weird... :roll:
I meant to say most lizards prefer Earthworms. Redworms seem to have an unappealing taste to them.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:No squeezing dirt out of them :nono:
Animals tend to not like redworms. Earthworms tend to be better.


yea i read about that right after posting lol. i'm definitely going with earthworms.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 am

Richard.C wrote:but how do u squeeze it out,doesnt more than dirt come out of them,sorry never heard of squeezing dirt out of them,just sounds odd to me

i thought what animals eat is what makes them a good dietry animal for other animals,you are what you eat,i guess worms would taste like dirt though,lol,is the squeezing of dirt out so the lizard doesnt consume said dirt?


I have no idea, I have never heard it until i was looking at some forum last night. that's why I asked to see if anyone else has even heard of that. I wouldn't want to be squeezing worms though... :dead: I know it's weird, but I respect the worms and insects too, I just want them to hopefully die as instantly as possible when eaten, not me hurting them by squeezing everything out.

Is this necessary or not? The washing I'm fine with.
Last edited by LarissaLurid on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby Katrina » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 am

I've heard dew worms / nightcrawlers are healthier for reptiles than red wrigglers. I feed them, I don't squeeze dirt out of them but the way I buy them they some in dirt so I rinse the dirt off the outside of them first.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 am

Katrina wrote:I've heard dew worms / nightcrawlers are healthier for reptiles than red wrigglers. I feed them, I don't squeeze dirt out of them but the way I buy them they some in dirt so I rinse the dirt off the outside of them first.


yea i heard there's a diff between red wrigglers and red worms apparently, where some like red worms but i guess red wrigglers taste really bad from what ive heard.

since nothing seem significantly more healthful than earthworms and they are easy to get I'll just go with those.
squeezing them out isn't necessary then? is it really that much dirt inside anyway?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby critterguy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Redworms(Eisenia foetida) indeed are distasteful to many herps-crush one and then smell it. Some gartersnake folk claim they kill gartersnakes but I haven't looked to deeply into it. Suppose if y'all are using them they must not be a problem.

If you really want to gut load earthworms you could put them in a mix of about 50/50 crushed limestome(calcium powder, whatever), and topsoil for a few days. Then when they are fed they will have a very good Ca:P ratio.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Nutrition of Different Worms?

Postby LarissaLurid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

critterguy wrote:Redworms(Eisenia foetida) indeed are distasteful to many herps-crush one and then smell it. Some gartersnake folk claim they kill gartersnakes but I haven't looked to deeply into it. Suppose if y'all are using them they must not be a problem.

If you really want to gut load earthworms you could put them in a mix of about 50/50 crushed limestome(calcium powder, whatever), and topsoil for a few days. Then when they are fed they will have a very good Ca:P ratio.


yea im not going to even try red worms, just to be safe. plus earth worms are easier to come across. i want to breed them in the future, but how much limestone would i add then? (not just for gut loading, but them to live in)
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests