? About my skinks size

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

? About my skinks size

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I have an almost 3 month old Northern BTS and when I see other pictures of skinks around my skinks age there tummies are more round and look more full. Mine as you can see in the picture doesn't look like that. Is this ok? He eats a balanced diet that is all organic and will eat everyday usually the same amount everyday also.
IMAG0137.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 am

Did you just recently get him? His tail looks VERY thin too :[

What is his regular diet and cage setup / temps?
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby CricketForestwater » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 am

My first thought was also the tail, but a closer looks makes me think that it's just your shirt covering part of it? But that's just my guess. If you could get a couple more pics with different angles it might help a bit.

Other than that, pretty much what Larissa said. A list of what you feed him and when I think might be good. (speaking of, I've taken your advice on the babyfood, Larissa. Got some natural catfood instead. Also, Ainsley apparently eats his greens just fine if I give him JUST greens first, then the meat after.)
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 am

CricketForestwater wrote:My first thought was also the tail, but a closer looks makes me think that it's just your shirt covering part of it? But that's just my guess. If you could get a couple more pics with different angles it might help a bit.

Other than that, pretty much what Larissa said. A list of what you feed him and when I think might be good. (speaking of, I've taken your advice on the babyfood, Larissa. Got some natural catfood instead. Also, Ainsley apparently eats his greens just fine if I give him JUST greens first, then the meat after.)


Hmm yea that's true, more pics would help if that is the shirt covering the tail.

Great to hear! and haha that's pretty interesting XD I know that my skink likes certain things alone, he won't eat collard greens like that but he loves squash and zucchini as well as some other stuff alone.

Oh and since he is a hatchling cat food is ok for a little, but i'd switch to natural dog food when you can. Cat food contains taurine
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby BlueGuy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:55 am

Organic dog food with veggies pre mixed already, collard greens or kale and organic baby food usually sweet potatoe since thats what he likes most. Temps are 100-105 basking spot and 75-80 on cool side he poops after every meal when he goes to his basking spot. I will post some more pics of him when i get home after work.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:50 am

Not all babies grow the same. Some of mine look very trim but eat like hogs. Others are super-chubby even if they're not eating tons. A proper overhead photo would help, but I'm not seeing anything bad in your photo. Take a weight and keep track every once in a while.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 am

Fatal_S wrote:Not all babies grow the same. Some of mine look very trim but eat like hogs. Others are super-chubby even if they're not eating tons. A proper overhead photo would help, but I'm not seeing anything bad in your photo. Take a weight and keep track every once in a while.



I agree with you, the body didn't concern me at all, but doesn't the tail look thin to you? (that is, if the shirt wasn't partially covering it, i guess we still aren't sure about that) That's really the only part that was concerning to me.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am

I think the photo is making the tail look bad. I'm looking at the tip where it's not covered (looks fine) and the hips (not super-boney, which would be an indicator that something is wrong). I can see why the photo makes the skink seem skinny, and it's not a chubby skink, but I don't think it's in bad shape at all. The stomach isn't chubby like many babies, but it's not skinny either.

The places to look to see if a skink is very skinny are the hips, legs, and neck/spine. A skinny skink will look bony, with no padding. This skink has flesh on all 3 places, so I'm not worried about it. Only this is (with all reptiles) watch the weight, and if it starts dropping see a vet.
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby BlueGuy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 pm

Well my skink doesn't want to be bothered right now but I can say that there are no boney areas on him at all. So I believe he is completely healthy. :D
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby BlueGuy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm

Best I can do for now.
IMAG0145.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby Richard.C » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:31 am

Looks fine mate,if hes active they can burn off the fat quick,fast metabolisms,you could feed it more if fast growrh is your goal,but not pushing them is perfectly healthy as well,your tyke looks perfect to me for its age though
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: ? About my skinks size

Postby BlueGuy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:43 am

Ok thanks. He eats once a day

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 191 guests