Gravid? A little help...

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Gravid? A little help...

Postby Buddy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi!

This is the first time I'm posting here :)

I recently got a blue tongued skink, I've had "him" for about two weeks now. A few days ago I noticed that he's getting fatter. Like a lot fatter. He lived with two other skinks before I got him (I know, you shouldn't keep them together). I've been feeding him normally, not over feeding him at all and he's pooping normally. He is 1,5 years old.

So.. To my question; Is it possible to get him this fat in 1,5 week or is it a possibility that "he" is gravid?

The first picture was taken the day after I got him, the secobnd picture was taken yesterday, about 12 days later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Gravid? A little help...

Postby Buddy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:57 pm

And also, is it possible for a skink to get this much bigger in such a short amount of time even if it's gravid?

I came across this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NchTZDPfyS8 and my skink has had a very similar breathing the past few days as well. Is this common for over weight skinks or even "normal" skinks? He's very alert and active and does not seem ill in any way.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Gravid? A little help...

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Obviously it is possible since it's happening :) It could be that she's just filling out from a decent diet, but that second picture does look pretty gravid to me. I'd prepare for the possibility of little ones to be safe.

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”