Postby Susann » Sun May 15, 2011 10:44 am
I told you in a previous post how much your Oliver looks like my Joey.
If you do a search on my posts under Sick little guy or Could it be mold, I've carefully explained and attached pictures of Joeys problems. He has the same eye, mouth, and foot problem!
Do I remember correctly, Oliver has lost most of his digits? I swear, Oliver and Joey has the same problem!
Joey's eyes and digits will get red and inflamed, swell, and he's rubbed his eyes so much he's lost most of his lids on his right eye! I have to soak them every day for him to be able to open his eyes, because they get crusted shut.
Digits just puff up, turn black, and fall off!
He gets that slimy crust along the bottom of his upper lip. That never seems to turn inflamed, but i have to soak the crust and carefully pick it off. It has, on Joey, never been a mouth-rot, but chunkier, less pasty, food seems to help that a bit.
Joey has been treated with everything possible (at least it feels that way). All kinds of antibiotics; I've even had to give him injections. Taken him to a veterinary ophthalmologist. Have had all types of creams for his eyes and feet. The only thing that seems to coincide with a period of less inflammation has been vitamin A injections, and placing him in a very sterile environment. He lives in a large tank with only towels to burrow in and a smooth glass bowl for water, otherwise he will repeatedly rub his eyes on whatever he can.
I would definitely suggest taking Oliver to a vet that deals with exotics. To rule out mouth-rot if nothing else. If you and your vet are able to determine what's going on, and are able to treat it with good results, PLEASE let me know! Joey has been dealing with this for almost a year now, at times he's been really sick, has been hospitalized a couple of times, then, other periods he seems almost normal for a time, before the cycle starts again.
Good luck! I hope it's not the same thing Joey has, because it's been very frustrating.
You can PM me if you want more details.
Let me know what happens.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.