Hardened nail shed removal help

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Hardened nail shed removal help

Postby Q.Ilyan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm having trouble removing a very old shed on my halmahera bts. I usually give him a bath if there is any stuck shed on him, but most of the time he gets them off fine since I increase his humidity when he sheds.

I must have missed this one single nail. Multiple times. I admit i've been busy due to the current corona issue and haven't given him baths. The only reason I noticed this time is that it has raised a single scale on his toes. There are no swelling or browning on the toe, but it is worrying me. My vet might be closed, but I will call. If I could remedy this at home, the better. Vet is still an option.

The shed has been hardened now and I've tried giving him a bath for 15 minutes, then gently rubbing it downward with a moist paper towel. I also tried q tips and cloth, but it looks like it's really stuck. I'm worried if I force it too much he will bleed, or get a wound that might become infected.

Not sure what other method I should do.

He does have a huge water bowl he can soak into if he wants, but he doesn't do that a lot anyway. His humidity is 70% to 90%, fluctuating in between throughout the day.

He has moss, mulch, eco earth as substrate.
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Hardened nail shed removal help

Postby Janella » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Try some mineral oil to loosen the stuck shed. Rub gently. Keep soaking twice daily for 20 minutes to help too.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”