Growth and fun shed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm
Country: USA
Location: DE

Growth and fun shed

Postby Angcious » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Tequila is growing so much, so fast. I weighed and measured her over the weekend, she's 23 inches total length and was 520 grams but I weighed her again today and she's now 535 grams...she weighs a little less than my adult bearded dragon but is longer. What is the average weight for full grown Meraukes? She's still got quite a bit more growing to do right? I assume she's about 7 months old now.
She did another shed over the weekend. In the past, she actually seemed to be getting darker but I know I read they usually get lighter with each shed. Well this shed really shocked me, I can't get over how lighter she got! She's all glittery and sparkly, the red in her stripes is more gold near her sides, and the undersides and her tail are silvery white, her belly is still salmon colored though. I know you all are used to the changes but she is my first and only bts so this is new and exciting for me!
Image
This was her shedding, just before she got a bath. Fortunately it was an easy shed again, the rest just fell right off in the water.
Image
I wanted to take her outside to get pictures of what she looks like under natural sunlight. Thought I'd put her in the grass, if I could get a harness to stay on her. I was successful for a quick minute, she just froze and looked at me like she was cursing me out for making her wear that harness...I guess she really was if she's actually a boy, lol. But by the time we got to the door, she had enough and wiggled out of it. Once we got outside, she was so fed up that she was huffing away. She hadn't huffed in a long time!
Image
Already in a ticked off mood, she wanted nothing to do with being outside. She actually went right to the door and started scratching and trying to go back inside
Image
I put her back in her cage, gave her a treat and when she seemed like she forgave me, I took her out and got another picture.
Doesn't she look so pretty?
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53 pm

You are going to have one monster of a Merauke. 23" is adult size for all but one of mine; Virginia being 24". 23" at 7 months is a good size. All my Meraukes range between ~500-700 g. Maybe Susann will chime in with her longer Merauke weights.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm
Country: USA
Location: DE

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby Angcious » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:54 am

Oh really! About what age do they stop growing?
Image
This is Tequila with my bearded for size comparison. My bearded is 21 inches. She had just eaten before that pic was taken and looks exceptionally plump!
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 am

They are both gorgeous! Your BD looks just like one of my last year's babies!
Cant wait to see how big Tequila gets!
User avatar
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm
Country: USA
Location: DE

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby Angcious » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 am

Thank you! Do you breed bearded dragons?
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:36 am

Just last year, one time. Had over 100 babies from one pair! Tough finding homes for all, so just wanted to do it once. The babies are just so cute! I wanted to keep them all!! Needed room for more blueys though, so friends have my female and the baby girl I held back. I just kept my male. Full time job just to feed and care for all, and you need a constant supply of insects as some babies won't eat greens right away. Want to concentrate on livebearers now, such as blueys and dwarf boas. Eggs can be frustrating!
User avatar
alichamp
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
Country: Australia
Location: NSW

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby alichamp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Great photos! Your stories cracked me up! :lol:
User avatar
Angcious
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm
Country: USA
Location: DE

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby Angcious » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you alichamp! :D

splashy - 100, my goodness LOL! I can only imagine what that was like, although what an experience it had to be!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Growth and fun shed

Postby Susann » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Hmm... I haven't measured or weighed my boys in a long time, but JJ is about 27 inches and weighs somewhere north of 800 grams. Milo is 28 inches and is usually around 900 grams (unless it's mating time, then he is totally uninterested in food for months.
Maddie is around 24 inches and normally just over 800 grams. Xyla is my shorty at 23 inches and usually 880-920 grams. Rosy, my skinny girl is 27 inches and normally somewhere south of 800 grams.
IMG_2056.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests