Can I use sand?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
gust0640
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Can I use sand?

Postby gust0640 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:02 am

So im considering using sand as bedding. I have fine oceansand in mind. Can i use that??
MechHAN
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Can I use sand?

Postby MechHAN » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:14 am

yes,or no...depending on what kind of blue tongue,and what kind of sand...
and yes...the aspen is better...
Last edited by MechHAN on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noah H.
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Noah H. » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:14 am

I strongly recommend that you stay away from sand as substrate. There is a high risk of impaction (blockage of the digestive tract) if your lizard were to accidentally ingest a large amount of sand over time. Pick a different substrate such as shaved aspen, carefresh, or cypress mulch.
0.0.1 Northern "Obi-wan"
gust0640
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby gust0640 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 am

Ok
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 pm

ive used sand,never had impaction issues ,had them mate on sand right through to having babies on sand and again no issues,only negatives i found with sand is its heavy and labour intensive to clean,a posative is it keeps there nails in check,id prefer a bit of sand going through digestive tract rather than cypress,aspen ,carefresh or other bark type substrates
Roarschak11
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Roarschak11 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:22 pm

What type of skink do you have first off, if you have a Merauke or an indo you defiantly won't want sand
Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:21 am

I wouldn't use sand for any species, especially inside. If there happens to be some sand content in the soil in an outdoor pen, its not the end of the world, but I wouldn't use it intentionally and I would make sure my skink is eating off of a plate, tray or bowl to minimize any accidental sand ingestion.
3.0.1 Northerns
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm

i used to feed my northerns kept on sand on a plate,they used to push food off plate on to sand,dry washed playsand,over wuite a few years,never had impaction issues,babies ate eggsacs in it,and even raised a few on it,again never had impactions,males everted hemipenes in it dropping sperm plugs,and dragged engorged hemipenes through it,again no impactions or hemipene infections,sand isnt as bad as most make it out to be,and alot of blueys,even non desert types live in it in nature,including indos that live along coastlines
Romeyrider
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Romeyrider » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:30 pm

I would say no as it holds no humidity and the risk of sand impaction is high.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:33 am

I don't think there is any evidence that risk of impaction is high but it does present a hygene problem because blueys excrete s large amount of fluid and invariably people attempt to clean it rather than replace it like other substrates , there are better options.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:01 am

I despise sand. Not just for the possible impaction issues, but it's heavy, dusty and smelly. It can be useful when added to other substrates (my new substrate is coco-fiber with some soil & sand mixed in to bulk it up), but overall I find it a nasty substrate for almost all animals. If you do use sand, I've heard that children's playsand is the best option - many of the reptile-specific types are actually far more dangerous than regular sand.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”