So my skinks started brumating in late September. I figured they would be sleeping beauties until Spring. However, 2 days ago they both woke up and are all over the place like nothing happened. My herp vet said that brumation is more so due to a dry season more so than a cold period. Have you guys ever heard of that?
That almost makes sense because, I moved their enclosures into a much more humid room about 2 weeks ago.
It's nice to have them back to their fun and active selves, but should I be worried for any reason? Is this common for them to wake up in the middle of winter? Will they go back to sleep? This is my first brumation with these guys so I am still learning.
Would love to know your thoughts! Thanks for always dealing with my stupid questions!
The Skinks Are Awake?!?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: The Skinks Are Awake?!?
No worries unless they refuse food AND thus start to lose weight. Or of course if they're sneezing or have bubbly eyes/nose. They may or may not return to brumating - sometimes they'll wake up for a day or two then go back to sleep. Or they may be awake now and back to normal 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: The Skinks Are Awake?!?
Some species do go off wet/dry seasons
Day temps stay consistant year round, but dry season nights are cooler and dry season obviously less humid
Day temps stay consistant year round, but dry season nights are cooler and dry season obviously less humid
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: The Skinks Are Awake?!?
Thanks Richard and Fatal! I'll keep you posted. They didn't eat as much as I had hoped they would today. (I feed them once a week and today was feeding day.) Just one or two bites. Which has been the norm since October. I had to work today so I wasn't able to observe then all day like I would have liked. Stubbs was basking when I got home and Elouise was in her hide.
Health wise they look fine with the exception of Elouise. She has lost a little bit of weight. However, my vet said she was fat. Should I be worried about a little weight loss?
Health wise they look fine with the exception of Elouise. She has lost a little bit of weight. However, my vet said she was fat. Should I be worried about a little weight loss?
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: The Skinks Are Awake?!?
My guys are all snoozing, but the heat somehow got to 75*F in my herp room and my Indo woke up and was wandering around. I dropped the temps as soon as I discovered this, and the next day he was back to sleeping
Last year I didnt brumate on purpose, but my female northern really sticks out in my head. She zonked out but would wander around occasionally and bask some, but not eat anything. She was very inactive for most of the day, would pop out every few days for a jaunt, and then go back to sleep. She slept for EVER!
I'm really hoping this year they cooperate with me when I warm the room back up and wake up! I miss them and want them to be awake. Its so hard to wait til March!
Last year I didnt brumate on purpose, but my female northern really sticks out in my head. She zonked out but would wander around occasionally and bask some, but not eat anything. She was very inactive for most of the day, would pop out every few days for a jaunt, and then go back to sleep. She slept for EVER!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: The Skinks Are Awake?!?
So my two were out and about for 2 days. They were active, basking, climbing the tank walls, etc. Two days later, there is no sign of them. They went back to sleep. I wonder what caused the brief break...
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 196 guests
