Raw meat?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Raw meat?

Postby tylociraptor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 am

I'm going over the food lists to make note of what I have easy access to and what I do not. Some of the meats are listed "cooked" or "boiled", and others are not- is red meat okay to feed raw?
User avatar
scaredofbees
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
Country: US
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: Raw meat?

Postby scaredofbees » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 am

I personally don't.

While I'm sure they encounter far worse in the wild scavenging, I don't feel it's worth the risk of upsetting their gut flora with a possible bacterial bloom.

The only "raw" food items I provide are whole prey (invertebrates and the occasional pinkie) that are either still alive, recently deceased, or frozen thawed.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Raw meat?

Postby tylociraptor » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:36 am

That was my main concern. I wasn't too clear on uh... cooking mice, LOL! I'd like to be able to give them as a treat for sure, so. :)
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Raw meat?

Postby El Lobo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I feed raw red meat to the blotchies; in fact I fed them about 20 minutes ago with raw kangaroo rump but occasionally I will use a piece of beef. On the rare occasions they have chicken it is always cooked. I work in the food industry so know who to buy from and the conditions under which the meat is kept. I wouldn't feed raw if purchased in a supermarket where the food chain can be a bit of hit and miss and wouldn't recommend raw feeding to anyone who does not feel comfortable with it.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 239 guests