So Irwin shedded out about a week ago, but he's got a couple spots where some old scales are still stuck. They're the big guard scales on his head and a few on his upper back. I know a bath would help, but I also hear it can be stressful. Should I worry about these? They aren't discolored or anything.
I have been a proud skink owner for over five months now:) My baby is now 15 and a half inches long, so he's grown almost five inches since I got him! I just love the way he snuggles in my hair and relaxes when I pet his head, haha. His birthday is next month! He was six months old when I got him so I've just made his birthday exactly six months from the day I got him. I'm amazed by how lucky I got to end up with such a tame skink right off the bat, when I hear about other people's issues with taming. He does huff at me every time I get him out though. I use it to my advantage when I can't find him in his substrate:) My only complaint is that I wish I knew what gender he was! I've seen him pee two or three times, but I'm not sure if that's enough to rule out him being a male? He now has a middle name, so his entire name is Irwin Paarhurnax Harmon. I love long animal names:)
I show him off to EVERYONE, most of the little kids in my family get a kick out of him, and the adults don't like him! It has amazed me how many times I've been asked, "What are those holes in his head?" ...Ears, silly. What I really don't understand is how people think a lizard is gross. "Creepy" I could understand, he's cold-blooded, no facial expression, slinks around on little legs... All things I admire, but others might not. But gross? Don't get it. He's not dirty or slimy or anything.
Just thought I'd share some thoughts with people who understand! I'm so happy with my decision to get a BTs <3
Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
typically if it is just scales on the back or head, you can just rub them off with your hands. No moisture needed. Typically I will give a bath only if the shed is stuck around the toes/legs and tail. Otherwise, it typically comes off pretty easily when I rub it.
And I agree, I dont understand the "gross" factor that people associate with reptiles. Of course Im biased though
And I agree, I dont understand the "gross" factor that people associate with reptiles. Of course Im biased though
Brad
- RosiePosie06
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 75
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Bakersfield, CA
Re: Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
Thank you! Glad to know I've been handling it correctly. I've just been rubbing them a bit when I pick him up, but not picking at the scales. And I'm definitely biased as well 
"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help." --Steve Irwin
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
Paint Horse-- CQR Guns n Chrom (Ryan), golden retriever--Sandy, Siberian husky--Rain Cloud, Northern BTS--Irwin, Cats--Orlando Bloom and Frank Sinatra, Four Chickens (2 Wyandottes and 2 Australorpes), Mrs. Turkey, Four ducks, pigeons, and seven more horses live on my property
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
Yeah, sounds great. Don't worry about hear or back, a couple odd scales on there won't constrict anything.
Some people don't get it, but we don't always 'get' what they are into... Don't worry, some people will find them fascinating. Others won't, but they definitely aren't for everyone!
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Question and Sharing Some Thoughts
Dont worry about the scales, you can help a little if you are bothered by it, but they wont hurt your skink and will come off next shed xD
people just are like that against reptiles.....its like they were programmed from birth to say they dont like them for reasons they cant really put to words, so they go with "gross". maybe some humans just prefer mammals like themselves. or something.
im one of those that like everything in nature since birth. not even discriminating against spiders, which im afraid of, or completely green plants, which i find exactly as fascinating as a flowering magnolia. They are beautiful.
I dont get how anything could be cuter than a bluey though....nowadays when i see a puppy or a kitten i just end up thinking about my bluey xD
people just are like that against reptiles.....its like they were programmed from birth to say they dont like them for reasons they cant really put to words, so they go with "gross". maybe some humans just prefer mammals like themselves. or something.
im one of those that like everything in nature since birth. not even discriminating against spiders, which im afraid of, or completely green plants, which i find exactly as fascinating as a flowering magnolia. They are beautiful.
I dont get how anything could be cuter than a bluey though....nowadays when i see a puppy or a kitten i just end up thinking about my bluey xD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 253 guests
