Do you take your skink outside?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Do you take your skink outside?

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I was curious how many of you take your skink outside to get some real sunlight. I've thought about taking Coby, but wasn't sure the best way to go about it. Obviously I wouldn't just take him in the yard and let him loose. I thought about taking a plastic tub outside and letting him just soak up some sun, but am definitely open to different/better suggestions. Also, how long do you typically take them outside for? I live in Florida, so we obviously get really warm at times. Even right now being the middle of January, it's nearly 80 degrees today.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
supersnakeman101
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm
Country:
Location: columbea sc

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby supersnakeman101 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm

ya let them sit out there for 10-20mins 80degrees should be fine just be out there as well because there are a but load of things that can sneak in a take your skink
united we stand divided we fall
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING ! :)
1.0 merauke
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I let him roam around (While being closely supervised)
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Oh definitley. I also have a collapsable playpen from when my dauschund had puppies that I kept them in. It has a mesh bottom so it would keep him off the ground and I could even put a sheet down to make sure that he really isn't remotely touching it since I don't know if he could "catch" anything from the yard. I thought about cleaning it and maybe using that. It's big enough that I could probably get in there with him, and he would have more room to run around than in a plastic tub.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 pm

I take my guys out all the time when it's warm. I live in a condominium, so we have a big shared front lawn. I usually take the skinks out there and I'll let them explore and soak up the sun. I'll also take them over to the school grounds nearby where there's fewer people, or I'll have them on my front step to bask. I even take my dog out at the same time because she guards the skinks as part of our pack. If I'm taking several skinks out at once I'll get one of my siblings to come with for extra supervision. I always keep a bin or two by my side for putting them away quickly if they start to get spazzy or there's too many people around. My skinks are extremely popular with the area kids :)
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

So since we don't use any kind of fertilizers, sprays, ect. on our lawn, he should be okay if I were to actually put him in the grass? Or do you take something out to put them on, Fatal?
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I put them directly on the grass. Our area does do a mosquito spray annually, but they put signs up and we stay off the grass for about a week after they spray. There's no other sprays or toxins used in our area.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby critterguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Image

Oh yes!

I do similarly to Fatal. One nice way to do it is to have the skink travel in some kind of tote bag. Put a shirt inside for them to burrow in so they will be content with staying in the bag. You can take them out and put them on the bag...they'll crawl back inside when they get too hot. Another option is a shoebox with a hole cut into it.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby WanderingChai » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm

All the time(In summer, that is). She loves it out there, and it helps a lot with UVB. I just put her on the ground and very closely supervise her the whole time. I only take her out if the temperatures are about 73-85 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes less if the sun is warm. I also take her over to the orchard across the street, she's a big hit there. Once a lady was looking at her(she thought she was a statue) and nearly fell over in surprise when she casually flicked out her tongue XD
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
User avatar
missmacabre
Rat Girl
Rat Girl
Posts: 1023
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am
Country:
Location: New Zealand

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby missmacabre » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:54 pm

I'm too paranoid/protective to take any of my animals outside. Although Exo Terra make cool flexariums for outside use which I plan to get one day when I finally have a little backyard. Right now I live in a second storey apartment.

Jess <:3 )~
1 male Eastern BTS: Onyxia
1 male Bearded Dragon: Falkor
1 Green and Golden Bell Frog
5 male Rats: Anubis, Ice, Riff Raff, Tobias and Templeton
2 female Budgies: Remy and Emile
1 male Mouse: Archie (aka Mouseman)
User avatar
Panana_Blue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm
Country:
Location: Malaysia

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby Panana_Blue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Thats cute photo together....with Malaysia weather, anytime, anywhere heaven for blue tongue to take them out...beautiful weather all time, even consistant rain wont make temperature down so much.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby Karen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Sylvia loved it the couple times I took her outside before it started getting cold. Was planning on taking her out today but she decided she wanted to sleep. Going to try later in the week if the nice temps hold. It seems to be great exercise and stimulation for them as long as you make sure to keep an eye on them.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:40 pm

WanderingChai wrote:All the time(In summer, that is). She loves it out there, and it helps a lot with UVB. I just put her on the ground and very closely supervise her the whole time. I only take her out if the temperatures are about 73-85 degrees Fahrenheit, sometimes less if the sun is warm. I also take her over to the orchard across the street, she's a big hit there. Once a lady was looking at her(she thought she was a statue) and nearly fell over in surprise when she casually flicked out her tongue XD


Somewhat unrelated, but my boyfriend has an iguana and there is a festival that he goes to every year where he lives in Indiana and he always takes her. He had her on top of his head and he was wearing a hat and she was just chilling as he walked around, and one lady went to touch her, thinking it was just an iguana hat. Needless to say, she spazzed when she moved, lol. He takes his iggy a lot of places, even brought her down here to Florida when he visited last summer. She loves to ride on the dashboard of the truck. It's pretty funny, she's almost like having a dog around.
Last edited by ShortStack on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
ShortStack
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
Country:
Location: Florida

Re: Do you take your skink outside?

Postby ShortStack » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 pm

critterguy wrote:Image

Oh yes!




How cute!!
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 180 guests