Would this be a GOOD find?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Would this be a GOOD find?
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLarge ... ageIndex=1
My reptiles have been cheacked out and they're fine marvins weight if okay and i'm over re-acting. Miles head is just fine.
So?
My reptiles have been cheacked out and they're fine marvins weight if okay and i'm over re-acting. Miles head is just fine.
So?
- PlinkoPachinko
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Contact:
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
take care of marvin and your other reptile. buy them extra stuff for that money instead! : D or save for vet visits.
its good to hear that marvin and miles are ok.
know that if you get another skink there is a quarantine period!
in other words the new skink should be kept in a different room for some time and might need a few vet visits. especially when you buy skinks from trading sites like that one. do you have this extra room/space and cleanliness as to not infect marvin with something?
its good to hear that marvin and miles are ok.
know that if you get another skink there is a quarantine period!
in other words the new skink should be kept in a different room for some time and might need a few vet visits. especially when you buy skinks from trading sites like that one. do you have this extra room/space and cleanliness as to not infect marvin with something?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Yes his cage is just drying out and the silacone ''airing'' out right now. Its $80.00 Canadian which is WAY cheaper than I got marvin for. Marvin was kept away from Miles,Sugar,Kayleigh and other kids and animals for along time as i was scared he might be harbouring somthing. I am selling my large fish tank(20-30 gallons) and using that as a stand for the new tank. He'll be cheacked out by a family friend who used to be a vet and grew up resquing/saving/raising reptiles for free. Other wise. What do you guys think of him/her if I do get it?
- MissMeg
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 847
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
- Country: Canada
- Location: Sooke,BC
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-pets-animal ... Z322988572
Beauty, Good price, but if you got other to take care of you should give them your first priorty.
I have made that mistake before and in the past (Buying something because it was a good price and I already had pets I had to take care of)
It was a waist of money in the end because I put too much money in the new pet when I could have put it into Ruckus or my geckos. And in the end I ended up giving him away (the new guy). Be very careful
Beauty, Good price, but if you got other to take care of you should give them your first priorty.
I have made that mistake before and in the past (Buying something because it was a good price and I already had pets I had to take care of)
It was a waist of money in the end because I put too much money in the new pet when I could have put it into Ruckus or my geckos. And in the end I ended up giving him away (the new guy). Be very careful
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Ya,I have free vet care most of the time but for the more serious stuff like worms or scale rot I go to a clinic. I am giving away my fish so I can accomadate this fella and I can't wait to hear the owners reply! I'm going to miss my fish's filtering humm at night but its worth it to hear the "hmph huff huff huff" of a skink!
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
This holds true, coming from someone who has had vet bills of $900 and $1200.
My advice is don't log onto and read any websites offering pets for sale until you definitely know your current pets are housed and cared for and want for nothing, including veterinary care and you have spare funds available. Be satisfied with what you already have. If you feel you need exposure to more animals than you already have, consider volunteering at a local animal rescue. Then you will also be exposed to the number of animals handed in because their previous owners would not pay for veterinary care or who simply got bored with them.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
You just stated the other day that you could not afford vet care. Why the hell are you looking for a new pet?
The forums are what you make of it. If you want to get all defensive and "run away" no one is going to stop you. This whole thread is a waste of time. You should have known what the consensus was going to be.
Is it a good deal? Maybe. The price is decent, but who knows the health of the skink!
The forums are what you make of it. If you want to get all defensive and "run away" no one is going to stop you. This whole thread is a waste of time. You should have known what the consensus was going to be.
Is it a good deal? Maybe. The price is decent, but who knows the health of the skink!
Brad
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Phaemas, please dont feel like anyone is trying to insult you, everyone is just concerned for you and your pets. No one wants to see a post regarding you unfortunately having to rehome something due to unforeseen circumstances.
Yes, you get free vet care now, but you never know what the future may hold- What if this person or your family were to move away from the area? Would you be able to afford going to a normal reptile vet for something as simple as check ups? Even now with the free vet care, you never know when something needing expensive medical care may occur.
You sought out vet care for your two, which is excellent
However, just the fact that you were considering who to bring to the vet first in the first place does raise some red flags, money and whether you can afford another wise that is, not that you potentially dont care or arent a good pet owner.
Perhaps for the time being, maybe instead do something like collect some foam and make some fake rocks and make Marvin and your beardie a wicked enclosure set up
They are good fun and quite cheap. You could also get a part time job, and perhaps next year pick up one from a breeder you admire (I think it was you that seems to have this list of breeders you admire, or at least thats the impression I got...Maybe it was monitorlizard...)
Yes, you get free vet care now, but you never know what the future may hold- What if this person or your family were to move away from the area? Would you be able to afford going to a normal reptile vet for something as simple as check ups? Even now with the free vet care, you never know when something needing expensive medical care may occur.
You sought out vet care for your two, which is excellent
Perhaps for the time being, maybe instead do something like collect some foam and make some fake rocks and make Marvin and your beardie a wicked enclosure set up
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Phaemas - I apologize if you feel like this is off topic or mean advice. But think about it - everyone is saying exactly the same thing. No one wants to be mean on purpose but from following your posts on here, everyone is concerned that you probably shouldn't be getting another pet.
To explain - from what I can see, you weren't fully prepared for Marvin and have had him in an enclosure that is too small. You had concerns about his health but it seems like you ignored questions that you didn't like. You didn't post pictures even though we repeatedly asked for them. It sounded like both Marvin and the beardie were sick but you couldn't really afford to take them to the vet. Then the next thing you are posting is that they are just fine and you are getting another one. Do you see how this might look?
I promise you that we aren't trying to be mean. We are only concerned and want to make sure all your pets have the best care.
Can you please post pictures of Marvin? I'd love to see him.
If you stop posting just because you don't like what you hear it will be unfortunate. It will be childish and not in the best interest of Marvin. Please do what is best for your pets.
To explain - from what I can see, you weren't fully prepared for Marvin and have had him in an enclosure that is too small. You had concerns about his health but it seems like you ignored questions that you didn't like. You didn't post pictures even though we repeatedly asked for them. It sounded like both Marvin and the beardie were sick but you couldn't really afford to take them to the vet. Then the next thing you are posting is that they are just fine and you are getting another one. Do you see how this might look?
I promise you that we aren't trying to be mean. We are only concerned and want to make sure all your pets have the best care.
If you stop posting just because you don't like what you hear it will be unfortunate. It will be childish and not in the best interest of Marvin. Please do what is best for your pets.
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
All I asked was what you guys thought of the skink and I get all theese off topic comments. I got my beardie a suprise ''resque'' from some one so I was not prepared for him. Marvins new cage is really a size bigger than his temporary home. I was awear of everything before I got Marvin. I was awear of his cage. I went and got his proper heat lamps and such that day I got him and all they gave me was a ceramic heater and a lamp and a water dish and a 35 gallon tank. As for pics of marvin:) Heres a couple new ones:
From Newest to oldest.
From Newest to oldest.
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
I think Marvin is gorgeous. I also think the advertised one is a nice skink too, maybe a bit skinny (hard to tell for me). I would take it for a fecal if I got it for sure, as well as quarantining and watching carefully for mites and respiratory infections as these are common in reptiles that get sold off.
While I love the looks of both skinks, I would personally not consider breeding the two together. If you were interested in breeding someday in the future I would look for an IJ that looks more like the one you have. This is IMO of course.
I'm going to assume you're adult enough to consider the concerns that have been voiced and to do the right thing for yourself and the animals. I'll add that if you need help or advice don't hesitate to contact me.
While I love the looks of both skinks, I would personally not consider breeding the two together. If you were interested in breeding someday in the future I would look for an IJ that looks more like the one you have. This is IMO of course.
I'm going to assume you're adult enough to consider the concerns that have been voiced and to do the right thing for yourself and the animals. I'll add that if you need help or advice don't hesitate to contact me.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
i have a tip to you phaemas that might make more sense
i see a lot of bts and other reptiles for VERY good prices on the local trading site, however, buying one of them just cause theyre good in price is never a good idea.
its kinda like when you go buy clothes and impulsively buy something thats on sale. you feel really strongly for it, but its actually not something youd want.
so, i dont think the price of that bts and cage would pay off well, even if you have free vet visits for now. there is ALWAYS a catch when you see a lizard+ decorated cage for that price, most commonly it has been neglected for some time and is yet to show any outward illness.
save money for a bts you really like instead, like from a breeder
you are lucky enough to live in USA so you have plenty of better animals to pick from during the bts baby season! n__n
i see a lot of bts and other reptiles for VERY good prices on the local trading site, however, buying one of them just cause theyre good in price is never a good idea.
its kinda like when you go buy clothes and impulsively buy something thats on sale. you feel really strongly for it, but its actually not something youd want.
so, i dont think the price of that bts and cage would pay off well, even if you have free vet visits for now. there is ALWAYS a catch when you see a lizard+ decorated cage for that price, most commonly it has been neglected for some time and is yet to show any outward illness.
save money for a bts you really like instead, like from a breeder
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
- Tanith
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 45
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: Manitoba
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests

