brumation???

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
hjkaga
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm
Country:
Location: south central Pennsylvania

brumation???

Postby hjkaga » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:38 pm

I have a northern bts and recently she has been hiding constantly...she has herself buried under the bedding completely. She will not come out at all and hissed like nuts when i moved the bedding alittle to see where she was at. I know they usually don't start till mid november but we have had some 40 degree weather recently (although this week was in the 70's) I am in southern Pennsylvania by the way.

I put a dish of food in her cage a few days ago and she never came out or anything...just ignored it and me completely....
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Welcome!! :D

How long have you had your Northern? It might be the start of brumation, although I agree that it is a bit early. It isn't unusual for them to go through 'phases' where they don't eat for a couple weeks or don't come out. As long as the temperature gradient is correct and there are no signs of illness or lethargy then a few weeks of antisocial behavior or no appetite isn't very unusual.
hjkaga
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm
Country:
Location: south central Pennsylvania

Postby hjkaga » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:14 am

I have had her since late summer/early fall of 2010. I figure she was born earlier that year. She has definitely gotten alot bigger since when I got her, lol. So she is probably alittle over a year old now. The temps are correct also. Thanks for the info. :)
~Heidi~

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 208 guests