Only two toes

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Only two toes

Postby MissMeg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Ive noticed that only two of Ruckus's toenails might be a bit long. On his back foot on eithor side. His toes dont stand up like the others.. I was looking at it and I cant seem to find where I would cut it (Or even if I did find it, if he would let me) I added a large rock to his cage and put it in an area he usally climbs around so maybe that would shorten it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how/ where to cut it. Or is it normal for their one toe to slant a bit (I dont think it is, especially after reading the care sheet)

P.S I just re-reread the care sheet... Do they have a quake? like iguanas or cats? or can I just clip them )Obviouly leaving some to gip to stuff?
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Yes, their nails have quicks. I usually just cut the very little sharpest point off. I don't think it's possible to get through cutting them all without making at least one of them bleed. It's not a super bad thing if they bleed a little, just wait till it stops before you put him back.
I think cutting their nails is THE hardest thing about BTS. Their toes are so skinny, thin, slight, TINY that I have my heart halfway up my throat the whole time I'm doing it! It's nearly impossible to see where the quick ends.
So, with those encouraging words; GOOD LUCK!
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Chasen
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am
Country:
Location: Provincetown, Mass

Postby Chasen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Might want to have some quick stop on hand.
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 am

Yikes. Okay ill let you know how it goes. Do I need to use those special clippers or are regular human ones okay
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:15 am

Regular human ones are just fine. If you have a sharp pair of "cuticle-nippers" (kind of like the ones they use to cut off false nails, you know?) I think they are a bit easier. They are straight rather than a bent edge like with nailclippers, I feel like I have better control exactly where I cut with those, and I can tell for sure there are no neighboring TOES between the edges.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
phaemas
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
Country:
Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada

Postby phaemas » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm

I use dog clippers but the kind that is a circle and has a blade cut across it on all my reptiles. I was cutting marvins nails and I cut one by accedent when he pulled his foot away and freaking out I remembered I could use flour to clod the bleeding (not sure if it was true) but since it seemed pretty bad I decided to try it so thats what I do.

I like the ones that I have as they don't twist the toes real bad like my old ones did.
User avatar
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Postby Toxique » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:37 pm

I actually use an emery board to file down Morti's feet, I've found for smaller animals (such as my pigeons) that tends to be a bit less heart-in-throat inducing.
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:38 am

Hmm.. I havent done it yet (not for lack of trying, for lack of time) I like the emery board idea.. I dont know if I could get Ruckus to sit still enough though. I had a pair of reptile(Dog) nail clippers but I seem to have lost them. If the emery board doesnt suit Ill try human ones.. Im not sure If I have a cuitical cutter or not.. Ill look for one :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 271 guests