Emergency Trip...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Emergency Trip...
There is a family emergency and I have to leave this morning. I'll have to leave Thora here at the house for a week or 2. I need to make sure I'm not missing any of the essentials:
I'm going to keep the house temps around 82 or 83 while I'm gone.
I'm going to leave extra water. I'm going to put some water in a water dispenser (Repti Reservoir). I'm wondering if I should tape the water dispenser to the inside of the tank??? I would cement it to a piece of slate but there isn't enough time to do all of that.
I'm planning to leave paper towels down because I had a problem with a substrate and because of the family emergency I won't have time to replace it.
Is there anything that I'm missing? I'm not sure if I'm thinking really straight right now so I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.
Justin
I'm going to keep the house temps around 82 or 83 while I'm gone.
I'm going to leave extra water. I'm going to put some water in a water dispenser (Repti Reservoir). I'm wondering if I should tape the water dispenser to the inside of the tank??? I would cement it to a piece of slate but there isn't enough time to do all of that.
I'm planning to leave paper towels down because I had a problem with a substrate and because of the family emergency I won't have time to replace it.
Is there anything that I'm missing? I'm not sure if I'm thinking really straight right now so I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing.
Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
WanderingChai wrote:To start off, make SURE that someone can check on Thora at least every 3 or 4 days or so. She will only soil her water if you give it to her. Have someone be there to offer her water every time they come.
I don't know if I'll have anyone in the area to check on her. Hmm... She might soil the water because she will be mad that we aren't here... I am considering having her boarded at a pet resort but it will cost $10 a night.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- Hopeful_Herper
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
- Country:
- Location: Elk Grove, Ca
unless you are really tight on cash go for the pet store and she definitely needs someone to checkup on her every 3 or 4 days at the very least
leaving her alone for a week or two will leave you with a really nasty water bowl and possible illness contracted from the water
leaving her alone for a week or two will leave you with a really nasty water bowl and possible illness contracted from the water
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
-Mark Twain
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
i agree with chai, and the water will get bad if left out like that really quick. I never leave litchies water unchanged for more than 2 days when im not at home.
pet resort sounds better to me, but its up to you.
not cleaning up the poop etc for a week or two is also a infection risk for your skink....
pet resort sounds better to me, but its up to you.
not cleaning up the poop etc for a week or two is also a infection risk for your skink....
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Those are all important things to think about. I think I will be going with boarding. I used to leave her with my Mom when I went on a trip but I don't have anyone around who knows how to take care of her since my Mom died
I would take her with me if I could but we are probably already going to have to take the dogs (dog boarding is looking like it's going to cost 2 or 3 times as much). That and I'm not even sure what city we are traveling too yet. Laila's Dad was airlifted to a hospital in Birmingham late last night for an emergency blood change procedure...but he might be back at the hospital in Pensacola, FL soon...so we might be traveling back and forth. This sucks.
Justin
Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
- Hopeful_Herper
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
- Country:
- Location: Elk Grove, Ca
- Roheryn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 399
- Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Netherlands
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
I may already be too late to input, but if the skink has heat and has had water recently, two weeks doesn't really mean much. If she soils her water, she just won't drink it. Normally I'd say cut the heat too, but chances are she's eaten recently, so she'll need the heat to digest whatever is left.
Also, any chance you could leave her with Ray?
I'd be worried about boarding a reptile with other unquarantined reptiles. This seems like a bigger danger to me than leaving it safe at home for 2 weeks. Reptile store issues like mites, RIs and parasites travel quickly if the reptiles aren't quarantined. However, if it's a good place with good, knowledgable people, then it might be worth the money to not have to worry.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Also, any chance you could leave her with Ray?
I'd be worried about boarding a reptile with other unquarantined reptiles. This seems like a bigger danger to me than leaving it safe at home for 2 weeks. Reptile store issues like mites, RIs and parasites travel quickly if the reptiles aren't quarantined. However, if it's a good place with good, knowledgable people, then it might be worth the money to not have to worry.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Fatal_S wrote:I may already be too late to input, but if the skink has heat and has had water recently, two weeks doesn't really mean much. If she soils her water, she just won't drink it. Normally I'd say cut the heat too, but chances are she's eaten recently, so she'll need the heat to digest whatever is left.
Also, any chance you could leave her with Ray?
I'd be worried about boarding a reptile with other unquarantined reptiles. This seems like a bigger danger to me than leaving it safe at home for 2 weeks. Reptile store issues like mites, RIs and parasites travel quickly if the reptiles aren't quarantined. However, if it's a good place with good, knowledgable people, then it might be worth the money to not have to worry.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
+1
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Just a general observation that there is often lots posts just agreeing or restating something that was said earlier, and I'm not certain that everyone agreeing with the consensus has experience relevant to the situation / question.
Some good points have been brought up, but please remember that if you don't have any experience or anything relevant to add (other than just agreeing with something previously said) it might not be worth posting.
I know I'm being nitpicky, but tons of posts just agreeing with something that 'sounds' right isn't really helpful and generally if enough people agree then it is accepted as truth rather than just something that sounds right...
Some good points have been brought up, but please remember that if you don't have any experience or anything relevant to add (other than just agreeing with something previously said) it might not be worth posting.
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
Katrina wrote:Just a general observation that there is often lots posts just agreeing or restating something that was said earlier, and I'm not certain that everyone agreeing with the consensus has experience relevant to the situation / question.
Some good points have been brought up, but please remember that if you don't have any experience or anything relevant to add (other than just agreeing with something previously said) it might not be worth posting.I know I'm being nitpicky, but tons of posts just agreeing with something that 'sounds' right isn't really helpful and generally if enough people agree then it is accepted as truth rather than just something that sounds right...
Excellent point Kat.
As Mel said, I don't think that boarding is necessary at all in this case, and poses its own risks. I would have double checked lights, timers and temps, added fresh water and just left them be.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Thank you everyone! Someone was nice enough to offer to watch her for me
I haven't been on here in a week because I didn't have Internet access while I was gone.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Everything is OK. And my Father-in-law survived. I'm still in shock at how close it was. I'll post about it in the off-topic section...
Nae wrote:Excellent
I hope everything is ok~
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 269 guests
