Target training

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Target training

Postby WanderingChai » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 am

Okay, I cannot believe this.

I watched a documentary about monitor lizards a few days ago, and one of the things they talked about was target training. They said that any lizard could do it, but monitors learn it the fastest. Today, I thought, "Why not?" So I took a large pen(which my dogs got a hold of and broke, so now it's just the outside) and broke up some pieces of dry cat food. I started by putting the pen in front of the food, so that she had to tap it to get to the food. After that I tapped it on her nose very lightly, then put the food in front of her. She caught on really quickly! :D After a while she started taking a few steps toward the pen and giving it a tap. We went like this until she was full. I found it amazing that she caught on in less than 10 minutes. Does anyone else here do target training? I am super exited. :ohyes:
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 pm

That's really cool! You should make a video. =)

Skinks are smart! =D
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:27 pm

They seem plenty smart enough to make the connection but frequently are not motivated enough. I've tried it for a few months(using superworms which he only gets after touching the target). Response varies from half hearted eyeing if full to running from across the tank if hungry.

However-I can't stop mine from simply attacking the target(round wooden ball tied to a chopstick) despite continual efforts to get him to simply walk up and touch it consistently...seems to be the natural tendency. It might help if I used something besides superworms as a treat.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 am

Musoke- Once I have a better quality video camera I will! :D

Critterguy, Thanks for your insight! My skink hasn't tried to attack it. Maybe because your target is moving more in the air it seems like a threat? :noknow:
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:54 pm

WC: No-not a threat. He's basically trying to eat it. However-BTS do have a particular liking for round things(eggs for example) so perhaps it'd be better to use a different target.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:42 pm

CG- Good idea. Maybe try something like just the chopstick?
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Btw-I just watched that documentary...lizard kings. Quite impressive system they have there. I'd expect BTS to be able to accomplish the task set forth by the psychologist in the lab experiments.
User avatar
smsararas2
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Postby smsararas2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Would love to see a video of your target training. I am interested to see it.
0.0.2 Indonesian "Hubert" & Irian Jaya "Suzie-Q"
1.1.2 Schnieder Skinks
0.0.1 Savannah Monitor "Lucky"
12.12.2 Leopard Gecko's
2.0.0 African Fat Tail Gecko's
1.1.1 Pictus Gecko
2.1.0 Red Ear Slider turtles
0.1.0 Map Turtle
0.1.0 Emperor Scorpion
1.1.0 Siamese Cats
2.0.0. Whippets Dogs

2 Cats,2Dogs, 4 turtle and 20+ Geckos in the house.
BUT THE SKINKs are MINE!!
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:37 pm

There is another thread that covers this topic. :) I remember it well.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks guys!
Critterguy, it is quite interesting! I liked it.
smsararas2, I would love to get a video! I'm going to try to find my video camera now. :D
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I just made a video! I'll post it as soon as I could.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 182 guests