How to get steve to com out?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
drskipjack
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:57 pm
Country: usa

How to get steve to com out?

Postby drskipjack » Sun May 22, 2011 4:29 pm

How can i get steve to come out more? he hides under his basking almost all the time.
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Add a bubbler to his cage. Lol
I discussed this in an earlier post but, Ruckus hates the sounds of bubbles.
Its not a high pitch noise he can hear and I cant (Ive done tests). But it seems if I turn the bubbler on hes up an about with in minutes, after I turn it off, he goes back to bed lol.

I dont do this often, only when I feel he needs to get his lazy butt out of bed.

I think its eithor the vibrations (wich he likes) or he just doesnt like the sound of the bubbler.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun May 22, 2011 8:35 pm

They are reptiles... reptiles are lazy. Some more so than others, but it is completely normal. I know it is easier for me to say this because I have several and at least one is usually up... but some of them do hide for the most part and aren't really active.

I found with my shyer ones that it was best to leave them be and not disturb them - that way, when they want to come out they can but once they are hidden they know they are safe. One especially still isn't super outgoing, but he gets up regularly if the house is quiet.

I know this isn't really helpful, but I'd just make sure that when they are up it isn't stressful... and remember that they are just doing what is natural to them. If they aren't hungry or too cold, then staying hidden is the best strategy for survival. :wink: I wouldn't ever stress a skink to wake it up or get it to move around - it will just associate scary, bad experiences with being handled then.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Sun May 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Katrina wrote:They are reptiles... reptiles are lazy.

Exact it. Im not sure why people get an exotic animal to own if they want something to play with.
Brad
WeatherMan_Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm
Country:
Location: New Yorl

Postby WeatherMan_Tom » Sun May 22, 2011 10:24 pm

ReptileKing wrote:
Katrina wrote:They are reptiles... reptiles are lazy.

Exact it. Im not sure why people get an exotic animal to own if they want something to play with.


My response would be that when it comes to BTS they are actually quite social and should be handled often. I mean, give it enough alone and hide time sure. But I understand why one would want their skinks to be more out and about. Mine was like that for a while, but eventually came to want the attention. He also loves to hide. Maybe I'm spoiled with a skink that seems to have a good balance between the two!
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon May 23, 2011 5:54 am

WeatherMan_Tom wrote:
ReptileKing wrote:
Katrina wrote:They are reptiles... reptiles are lazy.

Exact it. Im not sure why people get an exotic animal to own if they want something to play with.


My response would be that when it comes to BTS they are actually quite social and should be handled often. I mean, give it enough alone and hide time sure. But I understand why one would want their skinks to be more out and about. Mine was like that for a while, but eventually came to want the attention. He also loves to hide. Maybe I'm spoiled with a skink that seems to have a good balance between the two!


By nature, BTS are NOT social animals. Sure people can want their skinks to be out of their hides and moving out in the open, but people also need to realize that they are reptiles and not a dog or cat. Sure you can still interact with them, but the skink does not crave attention from its owner like the said dog or cat. Look at natural skink behavior, other than a few species, they live their lives solitary. In nature they do not want/have/need a social live, why would that change in captivity?
Brad

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 220 guests