What are your favorite hides and why?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:57 pm

I have a few hides for Elliot- he uses them all quite often!

I have a log bridge, a cave, and a cubby.

Here's how the cubby works, I made it out of glazed and fired clay.
Cardboard boxes might work too? I guess if you replace it now and then.

I have to take the stuff out and reset it every now and then because when he's busy he digs everything up and moves it all around... he's opinionated. :|

(Click for bigger):

Image

Image

Image

Image

All fixed up:

Image

And his under his bridge. I found this in a rodent pet section! It's for guinea pigs, but Elliot likes to dig under and climb over it.

Image

Image

(If you look closely, you can see he dragged one of his hygrometers in there... :puzzled: )
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
missmacabre
Rat Girl
Rat Girl
Posts: 1023
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am
Country:
Location: New Zealand

Postby missmacabre » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 pm

I use the Large or it might be exra large, exo terra cave. Onyxia loves it. Before that I used an icecream container and he was pretty happy with that too :lol:

Jess <:3 )~
1 male Eastern BTS: Onyxia
1 male Bearded Dragon: Falkor
1 Green and Golden Bell Frog
5 male Rats: Anubis, Ice, Riff Raff, Tobias and Templeton
2 female Budgies: Remy and Emile
1 male Mouse: Archie (aka Mouseman)
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am

LOL Musoke
I love how in your first big pic, you can see your puppy in the reflection. or the other side of the tank. The look on his/her face is cute!

**Offtopic sorry**
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm

MissMeg wrote:LOL Musoke
I love how in your first big pic, you can see your puppy in the reflection. or the other side of the tank. The look on his/her face is cute!

**Offtopic sorry**


Heheh that's one of my dogs, Beau.
(click for bigger):
Image
There's the two of them! The one on the right is Bonnie.

*okay done being off topic*
- Meagan

Image
WeatherMan_Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm
Country:
Location: New Yorl

Postby WeatherMan_Tom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:28 am

I have this turtle shell hide that felix loves. mainly because I've noticed that the mouth of it it narrow enough that he feels completely secluded under it but inside has enough space to wrap his body around the shells circumference. pretty cool little hide for a bts.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 37.2769284
SHiZ-niBBlE-Bam-SNiP-sNaP-saCk
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 pm

As unnatural as it looks, flat cardboard boxes have been the favorite hide so far and haven't had any adverse effect other than just looking out of place. I think I could make something more natural looking with a little work, but if a free cardboard box that takes 3 minutes to shape does the exact same thing and Adalon enjoys it, it's not a real top priority. It's just the right height that an old pillow case set in the middle provides a step to get on top of the box while still being sturdy and safe. I wet the cloth around shed times and use an UTH on cold nights to warm up the tile underneath so the hide works wonderfully for that.

It does make me jealous seeing everyone's excellent enclosures while mine has that eyesore. :lol:

Image
Image
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Adalon wrote:As unnatural as it looks, flat cardboard boxes have been the favorite hide so far and haven't had any adverse effect other than just looking out of place. I think I could make something more natural looking with a little work, but if a free cardboard box that takes 3 minutes to shape does the exact same thing and Adalon enjoys it, it's not a real top priority. It's just the right height that an old pillow case set in the middle provides a step to get on top of the box while still being sturdy and safe. I wet the cloth around shed times and use an UTH on cold nights to warm up the tile underneath so the hide works wonderfully for that.

It does make me jealous seeing everyone's excellent enclosures while mine has that eyesore. :lol:

Image
Image
Adalons pattern is forming nicely :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Katrina wrote:
Zach wrote:I tend to lift all basking rocks with various items to create a hide underneath. The basking rock is already taking up space, so to "double duty" the space is a swell idea -- particularly if you don't have space to spare.


Funny you mention this, thinking about this thread inspired me to go to Home Depot and get enough tiles to make everyone raised water dish spaces with room for the skinks underneath - I was putting the water dishes on a tile or two anyways to prevent them tracking substrate in, so it was silly not to raise it a bit more to add another hide. I got a bunch of 12" x 12" slate tiles ($20 for 12 of them) and a bunch of 3" x 3" square tiles and siliconed 5-6 of the square tiles in a stack and used those stacks to form the 'legs'. So for about $50, 7 lizards got an extra hide with extra supplies left over!




Ooooh, we've got to see pictures of that!

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 232 guests