Huffy skink?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Huffy skink?

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi all. So as some of you know, my boy Stryker is.. kinda moody. I provide everything I can for him, waited 2 weeks after getting him to start handling. Just yesterday is when I started to handle him more... But I have no clue what to do. I started off petting him a week prior and he was super sweet, but now that we've jumped to handling he's become very moody and huffy with me. He squirms despite me trying to hold him close to my chest like I've read to do, as well as cradling him in one arm. He wasn't handled at all by his previous family so I understand this is very new for him, but how can I make him more comfortable? He huffs and whistles at me when I enter the room now when beforehand he was always excited to see me. I'm scared I've damaged my trust with him. I've tried giving him his favorite treat but he doesn't seem to want anything to do with me now. Not only that but he really has quite a peeing habit when being held... Which I get is normal, but is there a way to prevent him from doing this, or will it stop on its own? Thanks
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
LeapingLizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Huffy skink?

Postby LeapingLizards » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:18 pm

With urination/defecation, don't put it back in its enclosure right away... it will only encourage it to keep doing so while you hold him.

Otherwise, I think Stryker needs more time before he stops huffing.
1 Northern BTS - Born 6/5/2021 - Audie - Confirmed Male
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi there, bonding can take time. Also with some skinks it can just be their personality. Not all skinks like to be handled. I would give him a break for about 4 days or so. During the 4 days or so, I would talk to him, I would offer the treats and every time you go by the enclosure just say a hi or talk softly. Then, try to handle it again. Go slow and remember to make it feel secure.
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Postby CircusCandi12 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Thank you guys! He bit me for the first time today so uhh.. tips on how to prevent that in the future would be great! He's learned huffing doesn't work on me so he latched on instead.. ohh boy :roll:
I did startled him on accident though so I get why he did it. He's been cuddly lately, so this was a shock.
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:32 am

Bites happen when they feel threatened and scared. It is their defense mechanism. I would recommend what I suggested above and go slow...

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”