New Skink Anxiety!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
TheLittlePrince
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Skink Anxiety!!

Postby TheLittlePrince » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:36 pm

I just got my first blue tongue skin at a reptile expo a couple days ago. I prepared to get one for a while and did quite a bit of research first, but I still am so scared he's going to die! I'm not sure what is and isn't normal behavior so everything odd I see I worry is a sign of something being wrong.

I kinda of splurged to get him, he cost $500 which was more than I've spent on a purchase for myself in year's. So there's definitely money anxiety mixed in there too about messing this up.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How do you deal with the stress of not killing a new expensive pet??
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New Skink Anxiety!!

Postby Janella » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi there. First take time and breathe. Then, I would post a picture of your skink so we can help you identify what exactly you have. Next, once we identify we can help you make sure your husbandry is correct. Let us know what your set up is. The key for skinks is providing the proper husbandry. They are awesome lizards and by far my favorite. Now enjoy it!!!
TheLittlePrince
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby TheLittlePrince » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 am

Janella wrote: Next, once we identify we can help you make sure your husbandry is correct. Let us know what your set up is.

Thanks!! I had to wait until he was out to get a good photo, and a photo of his set up. One side of his cage is ~89 degrees and the other is ~82 with humidity in the upper 40s. The lights are on a 12 hour cycle and its about 75 at night.

He's about 4 months old so I'm feeding him daily a mix of chicken dog food and squash with a little bit of fruit baby food.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 pm

Okay, so what type of skink was it sold as? A Northern or IJ? Send us some pictures from over top and the sides and we can identify this one for you better. Also I wouldn't use Aspen. It is to dry. I would switch to a better humidity holding substrate. My favorites are Jungle Mix, Eco Earth, Cypress Mulch, or plain top soil. I would then add like Reptibark or something similar on top. Remember these lizards love to burrow. So I usually use about 3-4 inches of substrate. Your basking spot should be around 100 or so. The cool end can be around 72-75. It is super important to follow proper husbandry. As for feeding, the dog food is fine, but these guys needs dark leafy greens and a mix of veggies as well. Don't forget to check out the forums feeding chart. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to message in.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:15 am

It's a northern. Very tolerant of humidity fluctuations but I'd keep it around 40 give or take. Basking temps should be around 95. Ditch the aspen as mentioned, too dusty and dry and will cause shedding issues. I do not feed greens but some do...you've got to finely chop them and mix with dog food (I'd use the type that already contains vegetables and not just chicken as a protein source, especially when still growing). My babies get cat food up until 5-7 months, it is higher in protein. The first 10 months of your skink's life will shape his future, nutrition is very important in the active growing stage. Don't forget the calcium supplement. Necessary for fast growing bone structure.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:19 am

Thanks for confirming the Northern. I was about 90% positive it was.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”