Possible burn or scale rot?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
R_Noel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Possible burn or scale rot?

Postby R_Noel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 am

Hi guys! Comin' in for a piece of advice.
:helpme:

I'm keeping snakes mostly and haven't had a somewhat similar issue with them, so I'm not exactly sure how I can help my BTS right now.

He has developed a small patch of discolored scales (similar to a burn or a small wound) which I've noticed today while handling him. No visual blisters or such, but I'm worried anyway.

I've desinfected the tank and changed the substrate to paper towels for now. His temperatures and humidity are in the regular range (35-36 C in the hot spot, ~25 C in the cold spot and ~23 ambient; 25-30% humidity). He's eating and pooping daily, as he should.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Upd: we'll drive to a specialized, very well-acclaimed vet on 21th (it's the earliest day the doctor's schedule could fit us). I'm looking for a short-term solution!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Possible burn or scale rot?

Postby rixusaku » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:13 am

I think upturned scales like that are usually a sign of mites more than a burn or scale rot. If that's the case I would 100% keep/quarantine the skink away from your snakes in the meantime so the mites dont move over to their enclosures too.

Edit: also, you can look up in Google, "blue tongue skink mites" and find all the information you'll need in the various links and videos that pop up for determining if it's mites, how to setup your enclosure for quarantine, what to do on yourself or in the room after handling the skink to make sure the mites dont travel, and treatments. Definitely still go to the vet and ask them every question you can when you go, but determining if it's mites and quarantining your blue tongue before your vet appointment would be the first steps.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
R_Noel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby R_Noel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am

rixusaku wrote:I think upturned scales like that are usually a sign of mites more than a burn or scale rot. If that's the case I would 100% keep/quarantine the skink away from your snakes in the meantime so the mites dont move over to their enclosures too.

Edit: also, you can look up in Google, "blue tongue skink mites" and find all the information you'll need in the various links and videos that pop up for determining if it's mites, how to setup your enclosure for quarantine, what to do on yourself or in the room after handling the skink to make sure the mites dont travel, and treatments. Definitely still go to the vet and ask them every question you can when you go, but determining if it's mites and quarantining your blue tongue before your vet appointment would be the first steps.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm already checking the videos and will be setting my BTS in his quarantine enclosure asap. Some of the scale rot pictures + articles mention upturned scales and discoloration as well, that's why I'm really bothered, not knowing exactly where to start :noknow:
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Ahh yeah. Hmm... yeah I would keep them in an enclosure away from your snakes and on paper towels until the vet can determine what exactly is going on. Good luck with the new skink! I hope the issue gets sorted out and resolved quickly.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 pm

The vet definitely seems like a good idea, but I can only speak from read knowledge; I have yet to get a blue tongue of my own. It looks like it’s an Indonesian; if not it definitely isn’t an Australian species unless I’m horribly confused. Non-Australian species are almost always wild caught, and when they aren’t they’re typically just captive born; their mother was taken from the wild while... is the word still gravid for reptiles that give live birth? :lol:
I bring that up because I’m wondering if you’ve had them checked for parasites? If not that’s probably a good thing to bring up at the vet’s.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:18 am

Any skink purchased at an expo or pet shop is more than likely imported, no matter what the seller tells you. Indonesians such as Halmaheras 99 percent. First order of business should be a check by a qualified exotic vet, as most everything would be guesswork knowing the conditions in which they are brought into this country.
R_Noel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby R_Noel » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:19 am

ThatOneReptileNoob wrote:The vet definitely seems like a good idea, but I can only speak from read knowledge; I have yet to get a blue tongue of my own. It looks like it’s an Indonesian; if not it definitely isn’t an Australian species unless I’m horribly confused. Non-Australian species are almost always wild caught, and when they aren’t they’re typically just captive born; their mother was taken from the wild while... is the word still gravid for reptiles that give live birth? :lol:
I bring that up because I’m wondering if you’ve had them checked for parasites? If not that’s probably a good thing to bring up at the vet’s.

It's most definitely a captive bred skink (there are quite a few breeders in my country/city and the export is way to difficult right now)! But I'll have him checked for parasites anyway, thanks for bringing this up - a great reminder!
R_Noel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby R_Noel » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:24 am

splashy07 wrote:Any skink purchased at an expo or pet shop is more than likely imported, no matter what the seller tells you. Indonesians such as Halmaheras 99 percent. First order of business should be a check by a qualified exotic vet, as most everything would be guesswork knowing the conditions in which they are brought into this country.

It's a 100% captive bred skink (we have quite a few breeders in my country/city).

He's in shed now - I hope I'll be able to see the improvement in a few days. I've been cleansing the "wound" with Chlorhexidine and covering it up with Laevomecolum for antibacterial effect.
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 am

That’s so cool! They’re so uncommon here I ruled out Indonesian species at the start of my research. :lol:
Glad you’re able to get some there; (to me) they’re one of the most beautiful blue tongue subspecies.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”