Popping

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Popping

Postby ChristianH26 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:58 am

Hi just a quick question. I’m slightly hesitant to drive 30odd miles to the vets to be rinsed for £200. If recommended however I’m happy to take him. My question was, when I take my halmahera, Stevie out of his tank to sit with me, I’ve noticed that he’s been making some slight popping noises when he breathes and his breathing overall just sounds slightly off. He’s not off his food, he’s not lethargic and there’s no blackness or crustiness in or around his mouth. Does anyone think this is early signs of a respiratory issues? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks :)

Also side note, is there any way I can get email notifications when somebody has replied to my post as having to check back constantly is a pain?
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Popping

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 am

I can’t really say much for the original question, but I believe you can just tick a box at the bottom of the screen for that. It says “email me when a reply is posted”
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:20 am

Being you have a halmahera I'm 99.9 percent sure he is an import. How long have you had him? What are your temperatures? They need very high humidity levels, and at the very least a 100 degree basking area. I wouldn't suggest keeping him out of his enclosure for too long unless you keep your house at 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity which is doubtful. If you haven't had him to the vet at least once already, I'd suggest a check up for any imported animal.
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChristianH26 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:58 am

Oh thanks hadn’t spotted the email thing.

And yes I’m also virtually certain he’s an import. I’ve had him for a year and 8 months ish and he’s been for a checkup about 8 months ago. I keep him at 36°c at the hot end and about 26°c at the cool end. At nighttime he has around 80-90% humidities and I do my best to keep it above 50% in the day which is a slight struggle with working all day and having a viv exotic chipboard viv assembled by yours truly. A plastic viv is on the way so hopefully this should help.

It became apparent he was an import sometime after I bought him. I put 2 and 2 together and realised that with the mites, stuck shed around the toes and the appearance of being underweight, the pet shop I got him from didn’t take brilliant care of him and this led me to believe he was almost definitely an import. Although a few months later I got him back up to great health but still as angry as ever.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Awww - sounds a tricky time with how the shop had them.. how is the stuck shed these days?

Just wanted to chip in and mention about the humidity during the day. I get it's tough keeping on top of it (we have a Halmahera too). If you check the Halmahera island humidity ranges, it's really consistent. Generally throughout the entire year, 80-90% is common during the day as well. We find if it drops to even around 75%, our guy will start to hide in the substrate.

In case it helps, these are some tips that's helped keeping it high:

- Get a large (but shallow) water dish and place it close to a heat source for evaporation
- Where possible get a large garden spray (we use the type with a pump, makes spray downs so much easier)
- Depending on your tank, if you have a lot of air holes - you can cover most of them up with a blanket or towel (but make sure to allow some of them open for gas exchange)
- A fogger on a timer works really well. We put it on for 2 hours on, 1 hour off in a continuous cycle until the lights are off in the evening (ideal for when at work).
- In addition, room humidifiers can help boost it on cold days (mainly for when a room radiator is on).
- For substrate - a mix of sphagnum moss, coco-coir and bark chips holds the moisture well

Fingers crossed the new vivarium will help out too :)

If the popping noises continue or get worse even when you've managed to raise day-time humidity, then you may want vet advice next.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
ChristianH26
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ChristianH26 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 am

That’s great thanks for this. The stuck shed is fine these days and if he does happen to get any stuck then I will gently pull it off for him. I think with the new viv I will install a fogger. I already have an electric sprayer pump thing because I was sick of a handheld garden sprayer and that’s made things much easier. Until I get the new viv, the most concerning thing for me is the structural integrity of the current viv as it has seemed to warp from the humidity. The new viv cannot come soon enough :lol:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”