New Northern BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Northern BTS

Postby Terreos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:05 am

Greetings everyone. I’m new here obviously and wanted to introduce myself and my newly arrived northern bts. Bought them from a breeder back in December and it was finally warm enough to ship them. Seems healthy but is hiding a lot currently as I’m sure it’s scared to be in a totally new enclosure. Hopefully they come out so I can share some more pictures of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New Northern BTS

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:31 am

Congratulations, very nice northern! And welcome!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum! What a cute northern you have :D
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am

Thank you. They’re out and about today. They even ate a bit too. So I think they’re getting more comfortable. I did not try to touch them yet. I just sat next to the cage and watch them. They were not taking their eye off me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello and welcome :welcome: congratulations on your new skink.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Welcome to the group and congratulations
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks everyone. I tried some interacting today. While they didn’t run away they definitely kept their distance. So I just left my hand there for about ten minutes and decided they were not happy with me there and left them alone. I did catch a big yawn in action.
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:16 pm

Hey everyone. So I’ve been trying to earn Nibs trust. A few days ago I gave them some snails by chop sticks. Took them a minute to come up to the chopsticks but they did take the meat. I didn’t touch them and just gave them a few more pieces. All seemed well. So today when I put their food dish in I gave them a light pet on the back. No hissing or aggressive behavior. When they finished I gave them one more pet and again no aggression. They did walk off and hide though. So they’re still very nervous around me. Is there anything else I might be able to try? I figure just using food might not be the best idea. But hey there is progress. :ohyes:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:09 am

You keep referring to 'them', are you keeping more than one northern in an enclosure together? If so, I would advise against that.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am

splashy07 wrote:You keep referring to 'them', are you keeping more than one northern in an enclosure together? If so, I would advise against that.

I think Terreos just doesn't know the gender yet and isn't placing a temporary guess on them (then again, now I'm making assumptions :lol:)
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Terreos
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Terreos » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:40 pm

rixusaku wrote:
splashy07 wrote:You keep referring to 'them', are you keeping more than one northern in an enclosure together? If so, I would advise against that.

I think Terreos just doesn't know the gender yet and isn't placing a temporary guess on them (then again, now I'm making assumptions :lol:)

Bingo. Knowing my luck I’ll pick a gender for ease of typing and it’ll turn out to be the other. But I’ll try to just refer to my skink by the name. Nibs. :mrgreen:

And I only have one skink. I know they have a tendency to be nasty to other skinks unless it’s for breeding. :shock:

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”