Weird swimming in air behaviour

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Efferalgan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Weird swimming in air behaviour

Postby Efferalgan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:46 pm

This afternoon I noticed a strange behaviour in my skink: video here https://youtu.be/scI1whZxQgU

Basically, he appeared to be "swimming" in air with his arms. In the video it is quite "normal" swimming, but a few minutes later he started having his fingers quiver, and had his right eye closed. We don't know for how long he had been doing it before we noticed it, but it lasted for at least 10 min. He did it again for a short time a few hours later, and only the "normal" version.

He is a 2 year old keyensis, and I believe he is in some sort of rut, as he is very active, he is leaving sperm on the floor every few days, and he has been refused food since early september. No lethargy, no worrying weight loss, he is curious, comes towards us, leaves its terrarium on its own by climbing on us, so he seemed healthy until this swimming thing.

We try about once a week to feed him something, be it slices of banana, other fruits, dog food, etc. This morning was the first time since early September it ate anything substantial; I had defrozen a pinky mouse, and he jumped on it. Maybe he has trouble digesting it?

Do you have any idea about what the swimming is, and if I should take action about it?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Weird swimming in air behaviour

Postby mb606587 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:44 pm

Besides the "swimming," it sounds like a hormonal male during the breeding season. The lack of appetite and increased energy levels are typical for male skinks during this time.
Efferalgan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Efferalgan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 am

That's what I figured out too, so I was not too worried, but him having seizures was not expected…
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Yeah I wouldn't stress much personally unless I saw my skink do this on a regular basis.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”