More drama

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: More drama

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:57 am

There is a product called Carnivore Care manufactured by Oxbow. It is a formulated diet meant to be mixed with water and syringe fed. If you can manage to get your hands on that, it's good stuff.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 am

mb606587 wrote:There is a product called Carnivore Care manufactured by Oxbow. It is a formulated diet meant to be mixed with water and syringe fed. If you can manage to get your hands on that, it's good stuff.

Amazing Thankyou, il get searching now!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:02 am

Is this the right one before i get it? Thanks x
15F17CE7-717B-4259-B054-B95B92893F24.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:03 am

Yes that's it
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Sorry I had a crazy day. The carnivore care is exactly what I would suggest as well. I am very concerned that he is losing weight. Does your vet know this? I would absolutely start the carnivore care. Probably 8mls twice a day of you can. Then also keep offering his normal food as well. When you see him eating again, you can wean off the force feeding. Have you ran blood work? Just curious.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Janella wrote:Sorry I had a crazy day. The carnivore care is exactly what I would suggest as well. I am very concerned that he is losing weight. Does your vet know this? I would absolutely start the carnivore care. Probably 8mls twice a day of you can. Then also keep offering his normal food as well. When you see him eating again, you can wean off the force feeding. Have you ran blood work? Just curious.

No worries thanks for all your help.
The vet hasnt suggested blood work yet, carnivore care should arrive tomorrow so il get on that asap and the antibiotics. Should i continue with probiotics aswell?
Il message the vet and mention the weightloss if he loses anymore, i wasnt 100% about the 50g as its different scales so thought maybe it could be to do with that. Il weigh him again over next few days aswell and keep a record of it for vet.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:51 pm

I would definitely mention it to the vet and go from there. Glad you will get the carnivore care so soon. It will help. Yes, keep doing the reptiboost as well. Prayers Ven feels better asap.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 pm

managing to get antibiotics down him twice a day and then either 10mg of carnivore care or reptiboost... he will not tolerate me messing with his mouth for anything else in the day once i've done all that. (got my first ever thumb bite haha)
still not eating, but as i say, managing to get a decent amount of the carnivore care in him so its a wierd one really, i imagine he is feeling full from that so at some point will have to stop that a bit and see if after a few days he will have food again.
he seems to have up days and down days, yday he seemed tons better and quite lively, whereas today he has hid most the day , but again this may be down to him having a full belly today. he has done a little bit of basking and been under warm hide most the day, and now gone to cool hide for sleep time.
he had the first poo for a while today aswell as a wee (once again the urate had crystals on which seems to be a thing that comes and goes with him)
im going to carry on as is with the carnivore care, antibiotics, probiotics and keeping his temp up a tiny bit more at night than i usually would. (also keeping really on top of humidity)
I have ordered some F10 antiseptic for use with his nebuliser... so will also do that soon as it arrives, then if his chest is still not right i will get the vet to do bloods. Vets arent keen on people making appts unless absolutely necessary right now what with covid etc so im trying to cover all bases as much as i can first.
any more input from anyone please do let me know your thoughts.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Glad to hear he is hanging in there. Definitely just keep doing everything you are doing. Giving him 10ml a day is better than nothing. So that's good. Before you offer the carnivore care place some of his favorite treats in and see if he will take it. If not, then feed. Make sure to go nice and easy with all oral feeding and oral meds. You don't want him to aspirate. I think your plan is good. Keep working at him and if he doesn't get better soon then off to the vet. Good luck and thanks for the updates.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Oh god now im paranoid about the asparating thing haha, i go slow but is there anything to look out for with this? Any way to make sure it doesnt happen beyond going slow? Thanks for your help x
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Slow and steady. Watch for increased breathing, stuff coming out of the nose, or almost like he threw up. It can be scary, but in the long run it could save his life.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:37 am

Just a quick update- all meds finished now. The past week ven has quite happily eaten heaped tablespoons of carnivore care (but only off the spoon... ive started calling him lord ventress) he has also eaten 3 pinkies over the last two days - the only solid food in a long while.
Hes obviously had very watery stools due to his liquid diet, but today i think was the shrunken reminence of a pinky but then a lot of dark mucus? (Sorry) as ive never fed him pinkies before is this normal? Or is it just his system deaing with getting back to solids? Let me know what you think, thanks.
Ps from whAt i can tell RI seems to have cleared, ive got 3 hygrometera in there aswell one at each end and one in middle so i can confirm his humidity is always above 60 in all areas.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:10 am

Omg, you must have been thinking of me. I was going to message you today to see how he was doing. Glad to hear he is doing pretty good. As for the stools, the loose stools could be from the carnivore care. I don't feed pinkies, so I would assume what you saw was normal, but I don't know for certain. Have you tried offering his normal diet? Still not eating that? What about some really good protein based dog food or even cat food?
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:14 am

Janella wrote:Omg, you must have been thinking of me. I was going to message you today to see how he was doing. Glad to hear he is doing pretty good. As for the stools, the loose stools could be from the carnivore care. I don't feed pinkies, so I would assume what you saw was normal, but I don't know for certain. Have you tried offering his normal diet? Still not eating that? What about some really good protein based dog food or even cat food?

Im a bit psychic lol.
I offer his regular stuff everyday, and also diff dog and catfood even egg and banana- no interest in any of it, but pinkies and stuff off a spoon and the lads on board!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Okay, well hopefully you will get him back on track of eating soon. Have you tried his regular stuff from a spoon as well? Keep trying. Hopefully he will get back to normal soon.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:14 pm

First and foremost I hope both you and your blue tongue are doing well.

I am still quite new to these forums and I have to tell you I am both happy and grateful to find threads like this one. You tend to learn information that you just don't pick up when doing research on care/husbandry of pets such as blue tongues.

Returning to my lurking on this thread! :)
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:17 am

Manny wrote:First and foremost I hope both you and your blue tongue are doing well.

I am still quite new to these forums and I have to tell you I am both happy and grateful to find threads like this one. You tend to learn information that you just don't pick up when doing research on care/husbandry of pets such as blue tongues.

Returning to my lurking on this thread! :)

Thats really nice of you to say, thankyou.
I do feel like i drive people mad on here sometimes with all my worries etc so nice to know it is actually helping someone else aswell.
All the best x
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 am

Janella wrote:Okay, well hopefully you will get him back on track of eating soon. Have you tried his regular stuff from a spoon as well? Keep trying. Hopefully he will get back to normal soon.

Yeh ive tried his regular stuff on a spoon but no joy, although had a minor breakthrough yday after posting and got some cat food down him - again, he wouldnt eat it from a dish but offered it with tweezers and eventually he went for if. So im definitely getting more food down him, just hoping his appetite kicks back in properly soon and he goes back to eating from a dish lol long term hand feeding doesnt seem the most practical, but just glad to be getting something down him at the moment.
Will update if anything changes
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:07 am

Well that is a good start. Unfortunately some reptiles once hand fed, no go back to eating on their own. They want to be hand fed. I have seen it happen many times. Thank God when my guy got so sick he did go back to eating on his own. Keep offering the foods like you are doing. Hopefully he will start eating on his own in no time. Also remember to offer foods just like you used to on the days you used to. Don't feed him by hand that day or the day before etc to see if he will do it on his own.
xXxBORISxXx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xXxBORISxXx » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:28 pm

I am glad to hear your skink is doing much better!! I hope it gives you some peace of mind.
I was wondering if your original issues with the urate crystals has cleared up since it began initially? If so, were you able to find the cause? Too much calcium?
Thanks!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”