Northern humidity too high

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
brokenheel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Northern humidity too high

Postby brokenheel » Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am

I'm setting up my enclosure for an incoming northern, but it's hovering around 75-80% humidity with an ambient room humidity of 65-70ish. I know the usual range for northerns is like 30-60 so this is a good bit out. Is that okay? How can I decrease humidity? Substrate is currently cypress mulch, but maybe I should supplement and mix with aspen/carefresh?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Northern humidity too high

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 am

No aspen or carefresh. Have used both in the past for my northerns and nothing good came of it. Cypress mulch usually comes out of the bag damp, and may be dried simply by putting it in the cage and turning on heat lamp with plenty of ventilation. You may use repti bark or coco husk (what I use) also. I live on Long Island, therefore humidity is always over 60 in summer, but the lights keep the cages drier.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Your Northern will be fine. Research the average humidity in the Northern Territory of Australia during the wet season and you'll be surprised to see how high it gets. It is a common misconception that Northerns are low humidity reptiles. They simply tolerate those conditions. As Splashy noted, increased ventilation will help.
brokenheel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby brokenheel » Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Sounds good thank you so much!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”