More drama

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: More drama

Postby Suzle87 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 am

Right then everybody, irresistible food ideas for him please?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu May 21, 2020 4:23 am

Egg, snail, and banana are the usual favorites. If you don't normally do live insects, you could try that.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 am

Janella wrote:Egg, snail, and banana are the usual favorites. If you don't normally do live insects, you could try that.

Currently got turkey mince and veg in there but no interest. Got some omnigold defrosting and some chicken defrosting. So will try all those then if not il go to the pet shop tomorrow and get some live bugs like you say. He had egg yday but was sick so a bit nervous trying him with egg again.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am

Hopefully you can tempt him with something yummy. Hopefully he will eat. Good luck.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:08 am

Quick update- having great success getting the medicine down him, it’s usually impossible but this time round he seems to be on board with letting me open his mouth and put the medicine in. He has eaten a small amount of his favourite dog food when hand fed but has no interest in the waxworms or super worms I’ve got him as of yet. Also no interest in chicken. We will try banana later on. Heard his chest snuffling a bit today but he does seem brighter in himself, he basked lots yesterday and seems inquisitive today. So fingers crossed he continues to improve.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 am

Wonderful news!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:10 am

Quick update - still not really eating(has had two small mouthfuls of dogfood in a week) he has been offered : 3 different kinds of dogfood, waxworms, super worms, bluey buffet, banana, chicken
Things I have still to try : pinkies, papaya, egg

Do you think the antibiotics could be causing a loss of appetite?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed May 27, 2020 3:26 am

Yes, absolutely the antibiotics can cause loss of eating. Your vet could provide a GI probiotic to help.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:35 am

Janella wrote:Yes, absolutely the antibiotics can cause loss of eating. Your vet could provide a GI probiotic to help.

God that’s a relief thanks so much for getting back to me. If he doesn’t eat over the next day or two il email the vet and see if he can sort that. Thanks so so much for getting back to me. Been doing so well getting the medicine down him that I couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t eating lots from feeling better
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 am

No problem, but I personally wouldn't wait a few weeks. You want to keep things moving in his GI. If he isn't eating normally I would call the vet and let them know. Try doing all the other things you suggested. Try even egg with snail combo.... usually an absolute favorite. If that doesn't work...vet time again. You don't want him getting better than going downhill again because he isn't eating.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:45 am

Well.. I say il wait a day or two.. then instantly email the vet haha fingers crossed we can get some
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed May 27, 2020 3:49 am

For some reason I read your post wrong. I thought you wrote one to two weeks instead of days. I think I better get my glasses on. Sorry about that!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 27, 2020 3:55 am

Janella wrote:For some reason I read your post wrong. I thought you wrote one to two weeks instead of days. I think I better get my glasses on. Sorry about that!

No worries at all, I’m an overly anxious person so turns out soon as I sent my post I couldn’t wait it out haha so yep we shall see what the vet says. Currently got bluey buffet on with him and this afternoon will try egg if he doesn’t play ball!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

Vet has recommended reptoboost from vetark website so I’ve ordered that. Going to make up the solution and give him some small syringes of it a couple of times a day. Fingers crossed!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed May 27, 2020 5:12 pm

I was actually going to suggest that. Glad they did. Hopefully it helps.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 am

Oh good lord. Getting medicine in him is one thing but theres no chance in hell he is letting me get this probiotics down him haha he really doesnt like me squirting water in his mouth, i get away with it with thicker medicine but yeh, dunno how im going to get this probiotic down him. Got one more day of antibiotics so hopefully he will eat again once we are done with those. Not heard any noises from his chest today so fingers crossed we are getting better.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat May 30, 2020 9:29 am

Try to go from the side of the mouth. Usually they will pop their mouths right open. Also if you reward them with a tasty treat after that helps too. Prayers he is continuing to recover.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:41 am

Been getting around 15ml a day of the reptoboost into him, seemed better in himself although not eating. Today he has gone downhill again, chest sounds snuffly as before, the antibiotics were working til he came off them so ive rung the vet and he is going to do him more antibiotics.
Im at the end of my tether with it, im offering him 4 different types of food most days but no joy.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:26 am

I am really sorry to hear this. I know sometimes they can get worse before getting better. I would suggest trying to force feeding. What does your vet say? I agree with needing more antibiotics. He also should be on a GI protection supplement as well, because the antibiotics could be part of the reason he doesn't want to eat along with the infection. By getting food in him, it will keep his GI moving and hopefully not start a whole other issue. Has Been lost any more weight?
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:32 am

I managed to weigh him yday and he was another 50g down, but he doesn’t look thin, hes about 20-21 inches and 800grams.
How would you go about force feeding? Could i blend and use syringe?
Is there a supplement you suggest? The vet has just agreed to more antibiotics and the reptiboost for now.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”