More drama

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

More drama

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:17 am

So Vens been quite lethargic the past two weeks but has just finished shedding so I put it down to that.
I gave him some egg today to tempt him out, after a little bit of egg I noticed a snuffly noise when he breathed, I’ve emailed a video to the vet and got an appt later today )with social distancing) a little later he had more egg but then threw it all back up. When he huffs you can feel the gurgling feeling like it’s on his chest so I’m presuming RI but I really don’t understand why, humidity is always above 70, temps 75-98 then 105 basking. T5 uvb, I’m just losing my mind with it now, last time it was crystals on his urate and now we are back to RI! I swear the vet thinks I’m insane. Il upload the video of Vens snuggle and add it to the thread. See what you guys make of it
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: More drama

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 am

https://youtu.be/ZvBUIGUikeE

There’s the link.
He’s not had any other symptoms just this today and lethargy for 2weeks but also shed so not really sure what it’s attributed to.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 am

This may sound silly but I have to ask, does he spend a lot of time out of his cage? I can't recall ever seeing this with australian species, but coming out of a 90+ cage and spending a lot of time in a 70 degree or so ambient room temp could cause respiratory issues. It is for that reason that I rarely even take mine out for long even though they're all australian. A friend of mine had a halmahera that was practically out all the time, and kept having this problem, just thought I'd mention.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 am

Hey splashy, thanks for that, no, he doesn’t come out more than once or twice a week for no longer than 30mins and in the last two weeks it’s been less with him being so moody. So you’re thinking RI same as me then? Hopefully the vet can suggest what to do, I was going to nebulise with f10 but the one for that has been discontinued so it’s al a bit of a nightmare. Typically an hour before we leave for the vets and he seems a lot better.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:39 am

Honestly I have never had an RI with a skink, so not gospel. Doesn't hurt to check with your vet anyway if he is not acting as he should.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am

splashy07 wrote:Honestly I have never had an RI with a skink, so not gospel. Doesn't hurt to check with your vet anyway if he is not acting as he should.

Honestly, my vet thinks I’m insane, everytime something’s not right with ven I take him to the vets and he practically does the can-can across the vets table and shows no symptoms. That video of him was taken earlier today but now I can’t hear anything with his breathing. But yeh il get him checked over, I think he just likes making me spend money I don’t have so he can have an adventure and be called a good lad by the vet.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 am

Awww sorry you're both going through it again!

I don't have too much to add, but curious if you've tested the humidity reader recently? I know we've had ones that would randomly give wrong results after they were working fine for months... but it's possible to test the accuracy by placing the hygrometer in an airtight ziploc bag, a bottle cap filled about 3/4 of salt - then fill the rest of the cap with water to make a slurry-like solution (if you have distilled water that works best, but I believe normal is fine too). Generally after about 6-8 hours (so can leave it in the bag overnight if that's easiest) it should read 75%. If not, then it's best to replace it.

Fingers crossed you'll get some useful advice from the vet! All the best and keep us updated!

Suzle87 wrote: everytime something’s not right with ven I take him to the vets and he practically does the can-can across the vets table and shows no symptoms.
Couldn't help but smile with that description - that's happened so often! Often heard similar stories when talking to vets xD Ugh!
Last edited by kayla990 on Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 am

kayla990 wrote:Awww sorry you're both going through it again!

I don't have too much to add, but curious if you've tested the humidity reader recently? I know we've had ones that would randomly give wrong results after they were working fine for months... but it's possible to test the accuracy by placing the hygrometer in an airtight ziploc bag, a bottle cap filled about 3/4 of salt - then fill the rest of the cap with water to make a slurry-like solution (if you have distilled water that works best, but I believe normal is fine too). Generally after about 6-8 hours (so can leave it in the bag overnight if that's easiest) it should read 75%. If not, then it's best to replace it.

Fingers crossed you'll get some useful advice from the vet! All the best and keep us updated!

Il do this test tomorrow (will sort the mixture over night) Thankyou. If it is faulty is there a way of reconfiguring it or will I need a new one? Honestly if you saw him now, totally different skink than he was 3 hours ago, it’s bizarre
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 am

N'aaaw, that's so crazy! And I believe there isn't a way to reconfigure the hygrometers (we tend to use the 'cheap' ones that show both humidity and temperature, not bought a pricey/dedicated reader.. maybe there is a way with those!). Quick edit: Some people say that you can still use it if it's faulty - some can be adjusted with a screw, otherwise it may be possible just by doing some maths - like if it was reading 60 instead of 75 over night, just know to always add the 15 (but.. always seems better imo to get a new one)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 am

I use hygrometers marketed for the cigar humidors. Some cigar smokers pay big bucks for their prized stogies, so accurate readings in their humidors are important. They are digital thermometer/hygromerter combos that use a small battery. Purchased at cigar international. Never had one go bad, and they are in all my cages.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:11 am

splashy07 wrote:I use hygrometers marketed for the cigar humidors. Some cigar smokers pay big bucks for their prized stogies, so accurate readings in their humidors are important. They are digital thermometer/hygromerter combos that use a small battery. Purchased at cigar international. Never had one go bad, and they are in all my cages.

Il get shopping tonight, ven seems determined to spend all my money so I may aswell join in haha. Will let you know how we get on at the vets. Gonna get him in the car in a minute an appts in half an hour.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 am

Good idea Splashy! Seems a little tricky to find them over here (presumably UK too?) but surely the better choice long term :D
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:18 am

I actually found them on ebay before I started dealing directly with the company.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 am

I’m back... after spending the hottest day of the year in a car with a lizard who decided to smear poo all over his carry case. Honestly, one of the worst things I’ve ever smelt!
Vet has done checks, Ventress has lost weight, but other then that seems healthy. Due to the video of his breathing we had ten days of baytril to take twice a day... back to the fun of of trying to get meds into him.
So gonna up his food a bit and let him pig out cuz the vet doesn’t like that he’s lost weight for both his last two visits.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 am

Uff, that's a rough ride... but worth it to get him checked! Hmm, do they have any thoughts on whats going on? Fingers crossed the baytril will have a good effect!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 am

All they can think is there’s a slight infection, because he said all oral exam etc there’s no bubbles anywhere or anything, and his breathing rate was okay, just not sure why he’s losing the weight, he was wormed not long ago so can’t be that. All I can think if his poo protest must’ve been a heavy load so he ended up a lot lighter after that. He’s in his new hide now all cosy like nothing’s wrong. I swear he will be the death of me the amount of worry he causes!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 am

These are the notes the vet gave me, so nothing obviously wrong to explain what’s going on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed May 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Hey, so Ven is at it again huh? I would have been concerned about an RI as well by the video. Glad the vet saw him and gave you an antibiotic. Hopefully he will feel better soon. I would monitor Vens weight if you have a way too. How much weight loss are we talking about? A few grams of several grams? Also if he continues to not act right, has any other weird breathing issues, etc I would suggest having blood work ran to rule out infection. Good luck!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 am

Janella wrote:Hey, so Ven is at it again huh? I would have been concerned about an RI as well by the video. Glad the vet saw him and gave you an antibiotic. Hopefully he will feel better soon. I would monitor Vens weight if you have a way too. How much weight loss are we talking about? A few grams of several grams? Also if he continues to not act right, has any other weird breathing issues, etc I would suggest having blood work ran to rule out infection. Good luck!

He’s lost around 150g - he was 1kg now around 850g. He has just shed so not been eating so much the past couple of weeks so I’m hoping it’s just that.
Successfully got the medicine down him this morning and going to give him some food soon so fingers crossed things will get better.
Thanks so much to everyone for helping me out on here, it’s a worrying time which obviously most people don’t really understand so nice to have you guys to run to when things get stressful.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 am

Hey again. So 150g is alot to lose. I am glad your vet is concerned and picked up on that. Definitely keep a close on Ven for not eating, sleeping more than usual, not taking treats, or more weight loss. If you notice anything else I would do some blood work to rule out infection. Keep us posted and remember we are always here for you.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”