Burrowing for weeks.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Realtintax
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Burrowing for weeks.

Postby Realtintax » Sat May 09, 2020 3:35 pm

My blue tongue burrows for literally weeks. He has a good temperature gradient and good humidity. Is this normal behavior? He regualry will go 2+ weeks without eating anything. When he does come up fine and he just chills in the hide and walks around his enclosure but then the next day hes back underground and stays there for 2 weeks. Is it normal for some blue tongues to stay burrowed for multiple weeks without coming out?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Burrowing for weeks.

Postby Janella » Sat May 09, 2020 5:40 pm

So a few questions first. What kind is your skink? Can you post pictures? What size enclosure? What are your temps and humidity? How many hides do you have? Some skinks will burrow more then others. Skinks do love to burrow. However, usually most will come out every few days to bask, eat, and just hang out. Have you had a fecal checked on your skink?
Realtintax
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Realtintax » Sat May 09, 2020 7:23 pm

Janella wrote:So a few questions first. What kind is your skink? Can you post pictures? What size enclosure? What are your temps and humidity? How many hides do you have? Some skinks will burrow more then others. Skinks do love to burrow. However, usually most will come out every few days to bask, eat, and just hang out. Have you had a fecal checked on your skink?

https://imgur.com/gallery/QB2CEkE

Hes a northern 11 months old(got him when he was 6 months), He has a 40 Gallon, He has a 105 basking spot and has a decent gradent 90-76. I spray the ground once a day and that makes the hygrometer go up to 60 and then it falls back down to 20-30, He has never had a problem shedding so I haven't adjusted that pattern. He has 2 hides. I've never had a fecal done, if your suggesting parasites, I'm pretty sure I've seen him grow a couple inches since I got him. but If i cant find an answer for this behavior then I'll get a fecal done.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun May 10, 2020 4:20 pm

I would bump the humidity so it stays around 40% or above. Then I always recommend having a fecal checked.
Realtintax
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Realtintax » Thu May 14, 2020 2:49 pm

bump

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”