Prominent breeding lines of northerns?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Billyb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Prominent breeding lines of northerns?

Postby Billyb » Tue May 05, 2020 5:34 pm

There are so many breeding lines of northerns, caramel,turner, white, orange, orange crush, etc..
Are they just important for color patterns? What are the most known of them and what do they indicate?
Who are the most influential breeders in the USA?
I’m a beginner hobby breeder but if anything I’m interested in breeding for temperament if possible. Has anyone focused on this?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Prominent breeding lines of northerns?

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:51 am

All of those breeding lines are strictly for appearance. As for breeding for temperament, it's a crap shoot. Northerns have been bred outside Australia for many generations. Conventional wisdom states that all captive bred animals should be much tamer than the wild caught counterparts. And for the most part that's true. But captive breeding does not and will not completely guarantee a skink that will tolerate handling, at least not without some work.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 am

Absolutely, and all the 'line breeding' and inbreeding going on out there for color has produced some of what I've seen odd personalities. For the most part, northerns and easterns are very sweet, but there is that odd one out. Personally I do not do this but many breeders do, as the more colorful ones bring more money. Breeding a sibling to another or back to a parent just does not sit well with me.
Billyb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Billyb » Mon May 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the info. As a beginning hobbby breeder I’ve decided that healthy quality animals will be my focus so Line inbreeding will most likely not Be my direction. Of course if one of my females pops an albino all bets may be off. Another question I have is it possible to breed one male to multiple females?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:13 am

Yes, I do that with my Easterns every year as my other male is scared to death of the females!
Billyb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Billyb » Wed May 13, 2020 7:07 am

Splashy my font of knowledge...
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:26 am

And if one of mine pops out a melanistic all bets are off too..........

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”