Che insulator? For mdf wood tank?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Che insulator? For mdf wood tank?

Postby Q.Ilyan » Thu May 07, 2020 9:12 am

Hi,

I ordered in a 4ft by 2ft tank for my bts. The company said a che wont work on a ceramic socket unless there is insulation between the socket and the tank itself because it could melt the material.

The tank is made of mdf compressed wood according to the site.

There are pics below of socket and tank.

My question is, can I just use Aluminum tape as insulation?

If not, what other heatingg options do I have?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Che insulator? For mdf wood tank?

Postby mb606587 » Thu May 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Why the need for a CHE? I've never once used one for a BTS. Only 50-75 watt halogen bulbs and no heat at night.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 am

I have a similar cage for my bearded dragon. I would not use a CHE in this cage. It would probably make it too hot anyway.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:38 am

Oh, and compressed wood will not melt. If this is a DIY cage it is made out or compressed foam, a cheaper grade of pvc. Would definitely melt and become toxic if a socket overheated. I have a 40W bulb in mine and it is fine for my bearded dragon.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Sun May 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

As for no heating at night, it gets too cold in the house. Below 65f during colder months and in the summer it's about 70f to 75f. Which is fine at summer, but not winter.

As for ths bulb, a 100w che is what I had in hand. I messed up his old tank so I needed an immediate replacement. I am planning on replacing it with either a lower wattage che or a deep heat projector bulb. Not sure about radiant heat panels yet as im not familiar with installation. I need to do more research on it.

He has a linear uvb t5ho 5.0 from reptisun in his new tank and as of now, the che is running ok. I talked to the seller and he said a che is fine as long as it's insulated. It is apparently pvc.

I also have a stat controlling the heat so it doesn't overheat, and i regularly check it with a temp gun especially during summer.

Thank you for the inputs. I will make changes soon

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”