Two males fighting - help!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
JillfromAustralia
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Two males fighting - help!

Postby JillfromAustralia » Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 pm

I have two beautiful blue tongue lizards. They are brothers, and have been kept in the same enclosure for years.

Recently, they have started aggressively fighting with each other. Today, one of them seems obsessed with biting the other. I have temporarily separated them by creating a makeshift enclosure using plastic tubs and netting. This is a very temporary, 'last resort' solution.

Does anyone know what could be causing this change in behaviour? There's been no changes to their diet/enclosure/lifestyle that I'm aware of, and I thought if it was seasonal aggression that it would occur later in the year during mating season (which for us in Australia is September/October.

Could it be to do with shedding cycle?

I'm worried I'll have to rehouse one of them permanently if I can't find the source of the aggression.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Two males fighting - help!

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 am

Two adult males, regardless of littermates, should never be housed together. They can turn on eachother for no apparent reason except the fact that they are two males. Separation is your only option. You do not want to come home one day and find one missing limbs and blood all over the cage. I can go on with horror stories I've heard but would rather not. Please separate them permanently.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed May 06, 2020 5:48 pm

Absolutely have to be separated!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch