Zoomed cavern kit

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Zoomed cavern kit

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 am

Lockdown boredom has got to me and I spotted this...
https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-med-c ... gIN1_D_BwE
I’m just wondering if anyone has used this? Is it safe? Do you think I could make removable hides etc with it instead of moulding It within the vivarium (as I’ve seen on how to videos)
All thoughts welcome, I need a project but nothing to technical cuz I’m not so good at things haha
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Zoomed cavern kit

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am

Haha interesting kit! Initial thoughts would be:

- It would be surprising if it can hold up against the strength of a determined Bluey
- Finding a tube/cave big enough that they don't get stuck vs. full tank size
- Personally, I would worry if they decided to sleep in the 'cave' for a day or two and I couldn't check on them :lol: (though, could likely make a separate 'lid', but would need to be careful it wouldn't collapse with the extra weight!)

I could see it working for smaller critters.. but for a Bluey... maybe have a look into PVC tubes :D Most are pet-safe if they aren't lined with anything, varied in size and can make a network of tunnels to use in or out of the tank (with the added bonus of being easy to clean and can add in blankets inside). Just a thought!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:59 am

kayla990 wrote:Haha interesting kit! Initial thoughts would be:

- It would be surprising if it can hold up against the strength of a determined Bluey
- Finding a tube/cave big enough that they don't get stuck vs. full tank size
- Personally, I would worry if they decided to sleep in the 'cave' for a day or two and I couldn't check on them :lol: (though, could likely make a separate 'lid', but would need to be careful it wouldn't collapse with the extra weight!)

I could see it working for smaller critters.. but for a Bluey... maybe have a look into PVC tubes :D Most are pet-safe if they aren't lined with anything, varied in size and can make a network of tunnels to use in or out of the tank (with the added bonus of being easy to clean and can add in blankets inside). Just a thought!

Great idea, Thankyou, so just any kind of plumbing tubes etc I can find on the net so long as they aren’t lined?
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Yep, I believe so! I think the safest types are the ones that are not flexible (as apparently they can use a different chemical process to make them bendy - they may still be fine if it lists the materials, but if in doubt don't use them!). Hopefully, most sites should list the recycling number. If getting specific on the materials, most sources say that high-density polyethylene (HDPE) that are recycled under #2 or #5 should be safe.

(Can peek at these sites for more info about the recycling codes: http://www.3reef.com/threads/reef-safe- ... cts.57828/ or http://spec-tanks.com/aquarium-safe-plastics/ ).

If you decide to use it inside the tank, don't put them directly under the heat lamp in case it begins to melt or become brittle over time.

Hope you're able to find some that can be delivered - most UK sites seem to sell them at 2 or 3m long.. :lol: Hope you've got a saw if so!

And.. just an extra thought - if you have access to a bamboo nursery that is also something that is a fully natural alternative (as oddly enough, we've got one nearby so there's a chance you might as well!). Can get some huge tubes that way :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”