Which tiliqua is it?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Seethe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Which tiliqua is it?

Postby Seethe » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 am

Hello guys. So I just got my first BTS today, and I have a couple of questions.

1.I want to make sure that it's a Northern or Eastern. I have this suspicion that it might be an Irian Jaya, so I'd like to ask you guys for your opinion. I specifically asked for a tiliqua scincoides, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. I am noticing that the skink is shedding (gave the guy a humid hide), and upped the humidity a bit, so it might be a bit hard to figure out what kind of skink he is.

2. How old do you think it is? It looks bigger than a juvenile. Maybe about 1 year old or so? Or a bit under?

3.A less urgent question but might as well: during brumation, should I check on the skink from time to time and bother him from under his hide? I know this is a bad thing to do, but I am paranoid of him catching a disease/dying while he is in hiding.

Seethe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Which tiliqua is it?

Postby Seethe » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:04 am

Here is a picture from a different angle: https://i.ibb.co/jgSycwF/IMAG0957.jpg
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:43 am

That's an Irian Jaya. Keep humidity at around 60%-80%. Age is tough to answer as it does appear adult. Wouldn't hurt to check on him either but let him be for a few days. While hiding during the first couple days is common, if you cannot get it eating, a vet visit would be advised to rule out internal parasites, which can be common in wild caught skinks.
Seethe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Seethe » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm

mb606587 wrote:That's an Irian Jaya. Keep humidity at around 60%-80%. Age is tough to answer as it does appear adult. Wouldn't hurt to check on him either but let him be for a few days. While hiding during the first couple days is common, if you cannot get it eating, a vet visit would be advised to rule out internal parasites, which can be common in wild caught skinks.

Hello! Yeah, just as I suspected. He is not hiding all the time, he comes out to bask on top of his hide, and around his hide, he even slept in the open. He used the humid hide as well. I fed him some cat food Wednesday and today also, with dandelion greens, and he ate it. Fed him two sour cherries with the help of some clippers as well, and while he huffed initially, he came forward to eat them. I also preemptively sprayed his tank. Other than that I leave him alone for now.

Also, do you guys know if sorrel is good for them as food? I have a ton of it.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm

Never fed it myself but I've read that it's been safely fed to other reptiles. Leafy greens typically aren't widely accepted by most so he may not eat it regardless.
Seethe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Seethe » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:09 pm

mb606587 wrote:Never fed it myself but I've read that it's been safely fed to other reptiles. Leafy greens typically aren't widely accepted by most so he may not eat it regardless.

I gave him two different brands of cat food (will move to dog food soon), with some sorrel, and he ate all of it. Looks like he isn't a picky eater for now.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”