Just got my first BTS - Can you guys help?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Morakie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Just got my first BTS - Can you guys help?

Postby Morakie » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:38 pm

hey guys! I am a new BTS owner and I'd love your guys opinions and advice on my skink and enclosure. My skink's name is "Indie" I've been watching tons and tons of videos as well as care sheets on what to do but I am still not sure If I am doing everything right. Please be honest and let me know if I should change anything.

Here are a few details about what I've learned or think I've learned about my skink. Please correct me if I am wrong. I refer to indie as a He but it could be a she.

I have an Indonesian blue tongue skink - sub adult. I think Indie is either a "Halmahera" or a "Merauke" Anyone know?

Indie loves to burrow, he burrows all day long in his hide, almost every day, which I ready may be due to brumation? I try and handle him every few days and I feed him twice a week. He recently shed, roughly 2 weeks ago which may also be why hes burrowing so much.

I've had some issues maintaining humidity and heat but I've been experimenting with different substrate, I am currently using 3-4 inches of Cypress mulch with a layer of sphagnum moss on top, I have tried different foggers, and heating. - I currently use a 100w heat bulb and a UVB tropical light, The top of the enclosure is covered with aluminium foil to help keep in humidity and heat. - his tank sits at about 85-93 degrees with the current set up but the humidity still drops to 40-50% unless I constantly spray down the enclosure or use the fogger 2-3 times a day.

I am ok with doing this amount of work if that is what is needed but if there are easier or better methods, I'd love to know! -

IMG_4608.jpg
IMG_4609.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4611.jpg
IMG_4612.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4614.jpg
IMG_4615.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Morakie on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morakie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Just got my first BTS - Can you guys help?

Postby Morakie » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:35 pm

bump
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:28 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Congrats on Indie. Indie is a Halmahera. These guys require high humidity (80% and above). As for the burrowing, it could be for several reasons. One, skinks naturally burrow and like to hide. If your skink is new, it may be doing this due to stress and still adjusting to your home. Second, if your skink was shedding they will burrow during this time. Three-Your temps are a little low. Halmahera's need a basking temp of 100-110. Low end 75. If temps aren't correct, your skink may not eat, burrow, and not act right. I would adjust your temps. As for humidity. It is a never ending topic. What size enclosure do you have? What substrate are you using? You need to use a substrate that will hold higher humidity. Also adding a humid hide works well too. Doing the aluminum foil is a good trick and adding a fogger helps too. Alot of keepers add large water bowls to also help. The key is to find the right combination of all the above to create the right environment for your skink. I know a lot of keepers who use just plain top soil with cypress mulch on top. This substrate has been known to hold humidity well. I hope all this helps. If you have any further questions, by all means don't hesitate to ask.
Morakie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Morakie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:59 am

Janellea, Thank you for the response!, I think his tank is 80 gallons but I am not sure, as far as substrate, it is mostly Cypress with a layer of Sphagnum moss on top. What would you recommend for increasing heat? Ceramic heat emitter? Bottom source heating like a heat plate? or another heal bulb?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:35 pm

No problem at all. If your tank is 80 gallons, then it is plenty big enough. Cypress mulch and sphagnum moss is good. As for added heat, I personally like the ceramic heat emitters. Do you have a temp gun? That is most accurate way to measure your heat source. I have my lights and heaters set on automatic timers. 12 hours on and 12 off. Hope that helps.
Morakie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Morakie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 am

I have a heat gun and temperature/humidity probes that sit in the tank, I’ve thought about getting a timer, do you recommend one ? Are they easy to setup? I’d love to make it automatically turn off the lights and turn on the heat emitter and then back to lights automatically to help simulate night/day and give his eyes a break from the bright lights
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:32 pm

So the probes are okay depending on the type. I still personally recommend a temp gun. Best way to exactly know what the temp is reading. As for a timer...yes do it! I highly recommend the zilla brand. They are about $30 I believe. Saves so much extra on/off work. Love my zilla timers.
alea1220
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby alea1220 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:29 pm

I just got my blue tongue today and when I picked her up she peed and pooped all over me before putting her into her new home. Any ideas on how to make her more comfortable with me?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:28 am

If you just got it today that is perfectly normal behavior. They need time to adjust to their new surroundings. Best give it a few days to adjust before handling.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”