Heating in high humidity *help*

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
OlitheHalmahera
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heating in high humidity *help*

Postby OlitheHalmahera » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 am

Heya I'm having some difficulties with heating and was hoping you guys chould help.

I got a terrarium with a styrofoam bottom which wasn't a problem until I got a fogger which seems to blow the heating lamps because water gets onto the lamps then when they are on they can't discipate heat fast enough so they get too hot.

So for a daylight I got one that can handle that (halogen) but for nighttime I got a heating mat, since I couldn't find a heat only (no light) bulb that can handle the humidity (80-100%), the problem is that it doesn't seem like the heat can get through the styrofoam.

Whould it be possible to place the mat on the inside of the terrarium under the bedding (bio-ground and coconut fibre)? Or somewhere else that isn't on the outside?

If you know about another way to get a good night time temperature I'll love to know.

It's a halmahera blue tongued skink btw
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Heating in high humidity *help*

Postby kayla990 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:47 pm

For the setup of our Halmahera, we have two different bulbs installed for day/night. For the night we use a White Python Slim Ceramic heater (which is produced in UK, so had to import it.. maybe you'll have more success finding it where you are!). But with any ceramic light and high humidity, it is a balance trying to keep the humidity away safely - we put on a brand specific guard on (which we wrapped partly in tin foil - mainly towards the top to try cover the connections more). Just an additional note - for ceramic lights, you need to get a light holder that is specific for them, a normal socket will very likely melt (and must ensure there is no way it can be touched by your Bluey, 100% need a guard even if it seems unlikely they can touch it).

Another method could be to install a fan to 'blow' away the moisture to thin out the moisture evenly (we always have a fan running inside the tank, but also lucky we have the space to..).

OlitheHalmahera wrote:Whould it be possible to place the mat on the inside of the terrarium under the bedding
I agree it's likely not effective out of the tank due to the styrofoam. But all recommendations say to never put them in the tank either.. I have heard of people using them on the side of the glass for other reptiles (like geckos), but I don't know how effective it is. Have you looked into Heat Tape? It's common among people who keep snakes, which I believe is a tube that is wrapped around the outside of the tank that gives a consistent temperature. It may be the best option given the situation (as I've broken multiple tanks from using Heat Mats.. so be careful!)
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
OlitheHalmahera
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby OlitheHalmahera » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 am

kayla990 wrote:For the setup of our Halmahera, we have two different bulbs installed for day/night. For the night we use a White Python Slim Ceramic heater (which is produced in UK, so had to import it.. maybe you'll have more success finding it where you are!). But with any ceramic light and high humidity, it is a balance trying to keep the humidity away safely - we put on a brand specific guard on (which we wrapped partly in tin foil - mainly towards the top to try cover the connections more). Just an additional note - for ceramic lights, you need to get a light holder that is specific for them, a normal socket will very likely melt (and must ensure there is no way it can be touched by your Bluey, 100% need a guard even if it seems unlikely they can touch it).

Another method could be to install a fan to 'blow' away the moisture to thin out the moisture evenly (we always have a fan running inside the tank, but also lucky we have the space to..).

OlitheHalmahera wrote:Whould it be possible to place the mat on the inside of the terrarium under the bedding
I agree it's likely not effective out of the tank due to the styrofoam. But all recommendations say to never put them in the tank either.. I have heard of people using them on the side of the glass for other reptiles (like geckos), but I don't know how effective it is. Have you looked into Heat Tape? It's common among people who keep snakes, which I believe is a tube that is wrapped around the outside of the tank that gives a consistent temperature. It may be the best option given the situation (as I've broken multiple tanks from using Heat Mats.. so be careful!)

Thank you so much I have been asking everywhere I can think of and you are the first with a helpful answer
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Ditto to everything above. Do not use a heat mat inside the enclosure. Very dangerous. As Kayla said, best option is a low wattage ceramic heat emitter for night use if your night temperatures are dropping below 21 degrees C. Halmaheras tend to be more sensitive to temperature and humidity needs, so while other skinks can handle temperatures as low as 17 degrees overnight, I'd err on the side of caution. Ambient temperatures between 21-24 degrees will be ideal and help keep the humidity from quickly drying out from excess heat. Humid hides also work great and will give your skink a place to sleep if for whatever reason the humidity needs aren't being met.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”