New baby BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New baby BTS

Postby bepbep » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi!
I bought my first BTS today and I own 2 beardies and a ball python, but never a BTS. To me, he seems a bit thin as I can see his hip bones easily. I can't tell if the spots on his tail and under his chin are due to injuries, disease, or stuck shed. I would love any advice that yall can give me! Thank you!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New baby BTS

Postby mb606587 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:05 am

Many of the wild caught and farmed Indonesian Blue Tongue Skinks are imported looking this way. The exportation process is not kind to them. First things first, try to get it eating if possible. Everyday. If he eats for you, then that's a positive sign and he'll likely put some good weight back on. If not there may be some other health issues. Either way, try to set up an appointment with a reptile vet to have a fecal sample examined for parasites. And ditch any lettuce or vegetables I see being fed in the photos. Offer protein based options, such as canned dog food, dubia roaches, and boiled eggs.
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bepbep » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Thank you for the reply. He typically eats about 5 small dubias and a chunk of Repashy grub pie (about the size of a thumb) per day. The green thing in the picture is a piece of endive that I offered to him alongside the dubias and the grub pie. He has an appointment to undergo a fecal test this week.
bepbep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bepbep » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:45 pm

And the man I got him from said that he was captive bred, but perhaps I was mislead. Thanks again!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 pm

bepbep wrote:And the man I got him from said that he was captive bred, but perhaps I was mislead. Thanks again!

easy to check, tell him a fib and say you are interested in seeing a photo of his mother and father "so you can see what might grow up to look like". If they decline or tell you some BS that results in no photo in an email , you'll know you were lied to.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:02 am

Most of the Indonesian BTS that are available in the US are farm bred in Indonesia. The exporters consider these skinks captive bred and sell them this way to American importers, who then distribute to local pet stores and reptile expos. There are only a handful of people in the US that actually breed these types of skinks here. Many of the farmed skinks from Indonesia are born and kept outside, sometimes with other wild caught skinks. When shipped overseas, they are packed in with other potentially sick and parasite-ridden reptiles. Assuming the person who sold that skink to you didn't actually breed it himself, he told you it was captive bred simply because it was sold to him that way.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”