New baby has stuck shed, won't let me get near him.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
jayson.bailey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New baby has stuck shed, won't let me get near him.

Postby jayson.bailey » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:34 pm

I got a new baby Kei Island BTS. When he arrived I noticed a bit of stuck shed hanging onto his foot. I've only had him two days and he's still pretty nervous around me. He'll hiss and kinda snap if I touch him. I'd love to just leave him alone for a week or two until he's more comfortable in his new home, but I'm worried about the stuck shed. I keep his humidity around 60-70%. I've been misting and he has a humid hide with spagnum moss in it, but he's only gone in it once. Should I just leave him alone and keep an eye on it? If so, what do I look for? Or should I pick him up and try to gently rub off the shed? Thanks!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New baby has stuck shed, won't let me get near him.

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:57 am

So long as the shed is a fresh one and not residual I'd leave him be and see if he gets it off by himself. If you think it's a buildup, let him stand in a container with some warm water just enough to cover his feet for a little while.
jayson.bailey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby jayson.bailey » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks! I misted him a bit and after he finally came out from being buried it looks like there is just a tiny piece left. Hopefully, that will come off on its own as well.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Perfect, hopefully it will come off and be just fine. Good luck
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:50 pm

I had a similar issue at one stage with my BTs (easterns) , when I asked a very experienced reptile vet about it and reviewed my husbandry and tank setup with him I was told the issue ( in my case ) was dietary = too much of the WRONG kind of protein , was advised to reduce the dog food intake and replace with insect protein ( the proteins are different as are the fats ) , this resolved the issue and I've kept to the same diet since with no recurrence of stubburn shedding for my skinks .

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”