Help Identify My Skinki!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help Identify My Skinki!

Postby Moldorm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:28 am

So I bought what was supposed to be a CBB Irian Jaya from a vendor at repticon that had been highly recommended to me... It turns out I was completely lied to and I have no idea what type of skink I have. I need help identifying him if I'm gonna take care of him properly (Though I did email the vendor and might return him just because I feel cheated)
Below are some pictures of him.
blue 3.jpg
blue 2.jpg
blue 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Help Identify My Skinki!

Postby mb606587 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Interesting skink. You're correct, not an Irian Jaya. Has the initial look of a Merauke but some features are off. So my opinion is Tiliqua Gigas gigas (Indonesian). Who was the vendor?
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Moldorm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:17 am

mb606587 wrote:Interesting skink. You're correct, not an Irian Jaya. Has the initial look of a Merauke but some features are off. So my opinion is Tiliqua Gigas gigas (Indonesian). Who was the vendor?

Crud I was worried it was an Indo. I’ll definitely need to return him then if I can (or majorly adjust my set up).
And I don’t feel comfortable sharing the vendor name just yet because I’m trying to email them to figure this out.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:06 am

You wouldn't have to majorly adjust your set up. You could house this skink very similarly to an IJ.
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Moldorm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

mb606587 wrote:You wouldn't have to majorly adjust your set up. You could house this skink very similarly to an IJ.

For some reason my brain thought you said he was a Halm, whoops lol.
I asked the vendor if they would do a return and they said they would but I would only get store credit, not an actual refund
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:32 am

:( Chances are that all of the vendor's skinks are imports then. Nearly any Indonesian skink you see at a reptile show is not CBB.
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Moldorm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:38 am

mb606587 wrote::( Chances are that all of the vendor's skinks are imports then. Nearly any Indonesian skink you see at a reptile show is not CBB.

Ugh that’s so annoying. They said they’re an only CBB vendor. Do you think I should return him and just get store credit for like objects I can buy instead of another skink?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 am

Anyone can say (and many do) that they're only CBB as that's what people want to hear. That is why it is so important to do your research before purchasing. We end up identifying so many skinks AFTER purchase that would not be necessary if everyone knew what they were looking at going in. All variables of Indonesian skinks found at pet shops or expos are 95 percent imports. I only know of one (local) breeder of IJs. If someone tells you an Indo is captive bred, ask for pictures of parents and bloodlines. If you get a blank stare move on. I tell everyone this, and not because I am a breeder but for the success of the animal and the happiness of the keeper. Many blue tongues become a first reptile, and imports can be challenging, and cost more in vet bills than the initial price of the animal.
The choice to keep or return is entirely up to you, but as with any import I would suggest an initial vet check.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:20 am

Hard to say whether to return or not. The animal may be healthy and do well in captivity. Or there's a possibility it may require veterinary treatment as splashy stated that could cost more than the actual skink itself. My initial impression is the animal appears healthy, but if you are unwilling or unable to deal with that possibility, than purchasing from a reputable breeder would be your best option. I'm hoping you paid no more than $250 as you can find captive bred Northerns late in the season for as low as $350.
Moldorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Moldorm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:27 am

mb606587 wrote:Hard to say whether to return or not. The animal may be healthy and do well in captivity. Or there's a possibility it may require veterinary treatment as splashy stated that could cost more than the actual skink itself. My initial impression is the animal appears healthy, but if you are unwilling or unable to deal with that possibility, than purchasing from a reputable breeder would be your best option. I'm hoping you paid no more than $250 as you can find captive bred Northerns late in the season for as low as $350.

I paid way more then I should of :| another stupid mistake on my part. I feel like such an idiot

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”