New Young Northern (basking question)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Rakeone
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Young Northern (basking question)

Postby Rakeone » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi,
I have a new northern.
This is my 2nd skink.
My first one is an adult eastern, which I got as an eastern.
Their behaviors are different on almost every point.
The eastern was very shy, the northen is curious.
The eastern doesn't eat much, the northern baby always wanna eat.

But what I am questioning about now is the basking.
My eastern comes out and bask in the morning, then won't bask much all day.

My baby northern can stay under the heat lamp for 6-8 hours straight. This hotspot is from 100 to 110 depending on how I set the dimmer.

I know she needs more heat since she digest all the time, but I find 6-8 hours straight under the basking light might be alot.
Is it normal for younger skink (she is a 2019 baby).

Thank you,
Carl
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New Young Northern (basking question)

Postby mb606587 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Most of my adult Indonesian skinks spend similar amounts of time basking and then I have one in particular which hides nearly all day. Even amongst individuals of the same species, personalities and tendencies vary. Now I don't own Northerns or Easterns, but from my understanding, the Northerns generally prefer hotter temperatures, generally being found in a more tropical climate in Northern Australia.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New Young Northern (basking question)

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm

True, my easterns spend most of their time on the cooler end except when gestating. My northerns bask sporadically but not constant, although their hides have basking platforms therefore they spend a lot of time in there.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”