what substrate do you use?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
cactusfriend
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: emily poteet

what substrate do you use?

Postby cactusfriend » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:02 am

my skink loooves to burrow, and currently he has aspen for bedding. but i see small pieces often get stuck towards his eye , so i will carefully get it off. im worried that he might hurt himself by either accidentally ingesting it or injuring his eyes. what does everyone use that is great for burrowing? thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: what substrate do you use?

Postby mb606587 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:23 am

You didn't clarify which type of BTS you have but your bio mentions you own an Indonesian. Aspen is not a great choice for substrate, especially for more tropical species of BTS like the Indonesian species. It does not hold moisture well, molds, and will not maintain proper humidity levels. I use a blend of spaghnum moss, organic garden or top soil, coco fibre, and recently play sand. All of this is purchased at the hardware store in bulk for half the prices of the bags at pet stores. If you want to make it simpler, something like Eco Earth would work fine on its own.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Agree with all the above. Definitely don't use Aspen. I use zilla jungle mix with reptibark on top.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Coco-husk for my northerns and Easterns. Oxbow Eco-straw for my desert species. (Shinglebacks, gidgees and bearded dragon).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”