Are these mites? Wood mites? It's all over my skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Are these mites? Wood mites? It's all over my skink

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:38 am

There's little white things crawling all over my skink, so small you could barely see it on pictures.

He does have springtails in his tank but i'm not sure if these are springtails.

Are they mites and are they dangerous for him?

There is one better pic from another forum. Its on a bp, but that isnt mine. The bugs look like those.

Edit: here is a link to a post with a video. This is shot by me so its exactly whats crawling on him.

http://aminoapps.com/p/5boojqz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Q.Ilyan on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Are these mites? Wood mites? It's all over my skink

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:06 am

I do not see anything, but snake mites, often called reptile mites are black as adults and when you squish one you'll see blood. Rub down your skink on a warm damp paper towel and see what comes off. If you see any black ones it would be cause for concern.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:14 am

They are all white and very very tiny. I was looking in the substrate but found none that i could see, but his wooden log had a lot of them. I threw it out in the trash.

They were all over him but not black. All of them were white and crawled very fast.

Could this be springtails? I put in a few batches of springtails but all i put were technically adults.
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:16 am

Here is a picture of what it looks like. I found it off on another forum by a bp owner. Looks like this and moves fast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am

Springtails are very fast. These do not look like the type mite that is parasitic to reptiles. If they were all over the wood they're more than likely springtails or wood mites.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 pm

If they looked very similar to the last image, I don't think they are springtails. They look very similar to either Predator Mites (which are beneficial, as they hunt other bad bugs) or a possibility of being spider mites - which are known to attack plants. If you have live plants in the same room, check for small webbing between the leaves. But agree, it shouldn't be an issue for your Bluey - as they don't seem to have the same body shape of reptile mites often seen online. Always good to keep watch regardless!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Are they fine to keep inthe tank? I threw out the wood but kept everything else. I also don't have any live plants at all.

Is this going to invade the house like termites would?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Based off the color, they should be harmless to your skink and no won't invade the house
Q.Ilyan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Q.Ilyan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:28 pm

mb606587 wrote:Based off the color, they should be harmless to your skink and no won't invade the house

http://aminoapps.com/p/5boojqz

Here is a link to another post i made in amino. It has a video so you can have a better view of it. I dont have a very good camera but when i looked closely they looked like the one in the picture.

I just ordered jurassimite off amazon which are reptile safe and im going to spray this on him. But it wont get here until friday.

For the meantime, just to make sure, these are not going to be an infestation in the house and hurt my skink? I'm sorry for the repetitive questions i just hope to be reassured. This is the first time ive dealt with a type of mite and its making me panic a bit.

Is it fine to leave the substrate as it is and spray the mite spray or replace everything? Its a mix of mulch, sphagnum, and eco earth. It seems the wooden half log was the cause of it, but im assuming since there is mulch that they would move there.

Thank you!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:57 am

I would leave everything as it is. This type mite is actually beneficial to the habitat an harmless to everything else.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”