NBTS ate a small paper thin piece of flexible plastic!!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

NBTS ate a small paper thin piece of flexible plastic!!!

Postby McBoredFace » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Okay I’m freaking out. I was sitting next to my boy while he crawled up and down my stairs. I’m eating a bowl of steamed veggies and trying to give him some carrots but since the brumation period started he will not eat. he’s been active and we’ve been hanging out, but I’ve also noticed he’s losing some weight so I’ve tried feeding him but he won’t eat so that’s another concern I have that I would love to have help with but it’s not the emergency I’m freaking out over. I’m just mentioning it here because it’s extremely ironic since he won’t eat real food but he will eat a *darn piece of plastic! there was this 3/4inch long, 3mm wide, paper thin clear flexible piece of plastic on the stairs. I swear I DID NOT even see it! He climbed down the stairs and lands right in front of it and he just eats it up! I grabbed him as soon as possible and tried so hard to pry his mouth open as best I could without hurting him and grab it! But I couldn’t! He friggin swallowed it! And I’m freaking out! Should I take him to the ER?! Will it pass no problem?? He’s acting normal as if nothing happened but I’m still scared it will get stuck inside of him. I’m so scared. I love this boy with all my heart and soul. I have no friends or family that lives near by. This skink is all I’ve got and he’s just my entire world. I’ve only had him a year. I can’t lose him! But I also just got laid off from 2 seasonal jobs... I know that when having a pet one must always be prepared for a vet emergency bill... but I just paid my rent and do not have the funds to have to pay hundreds of dollars all at once! Idk what to do. I’m so scared and freaking out. Will he pass this? Like I said it was really small just kinda long. I’m afraid it’ll get stuck in him! I will go to the ER if you guys tell me I should! I also tend to really over react over a lot if you guys have seen my other posts you’ll know I do over react but only because I love him so much.

So please, can someone tell me what to do? Do I take him to the ER? Should I schedule a regular vet appointment? Should I call a vet first and ask them?
And also if there’s time, can someone give me advice on him starting to lose weight but not eat.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: NBTS ate a small paper thin piece of flexible plastic!!!

Postby McBoredFace » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Sorry if there are spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes. I was typing really fast and didn’t spell check because I really want to get this out there first since I’m so worried...
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Your skink should be able to pass that. Its pretty common for these skinks to ingest substrate, pieces of snail shell, and even pebbles. Just make sure your skink has access to plenty of clean water.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pm

I agree, it should pass. Just watch your skink close over the next several days. Keep offering foods and if you notice anything abnormal then let us know or go to the vet.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Thank you both so much! I was so scared. He’s acting totally fine. I was just so worried it would get stuck. I’ll make sure to watch for him to pass it. Thank you so much again<33
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 am

As mb said, they can deal with snail shells...I wouldn't worry. And just a little info, I'm certain your house is not 90 something degrees, so if he is not eating I would definitely limit 'out' time. And if you must, never after eating. Their body temp can drop as much as 15-20 degrees when in ambient household temperatures. I realize people like to take out and play with their reptiles, but it's something to think about. Even if you are holding them and keeping them warm don't forget they are
also breathing the cooler air. I don't mean to be an alarmist but lets not forget they are reptiles, not mammals and cannot make their own body heat.
Tsaoyang07
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Tsaoyang07 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 pm

I also have a similar issue, my halmahera swallowed a soft plastic 2 days ago, he is still eating and drinking well, should i take him to the vet?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Your skink should hopefully be okay. Just watch for signs of not acting right (not eating, lethargy, etc). Anything unusual take to the vet.
Tsaoyang07
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Tsaoyang07 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Janella wrote:Your skink should hopefully be okay. Just watch for signs of not acting right (not eating, lethargy, etc). Anything unusual take to the vet.

Thank you so much!!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”