Ramshorn Snails

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
okapizebra
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Ramshorn Snails

Postby okapizebra » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on if aquatic snails, particularly ramshorn snails, are safe/good for my BTS? I have tons in my aquariums, so it'd be a free food source. Do BTS like ramshorns? Is it possible for them to transfer any parasites to my BTS? Can my BTS choke on them? I just wanted to address these concerns before giving them to him to be safe. All the threads/info I could find on this were from many years ago, so I don't know how accurate the info is.

Thanks!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Ramshorn Snails

Postby mb606587 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Ramshorne snails are safe to feed. As long as the water is clean and chemical free, it shouldn't pose a problem.
okapizebra
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby okapizebra » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Great, thank you!

Should I crush the shells or leave them whole?
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm

I don't feed snails. I'd personally probably crush the shells although many feed whole
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 am

It would scare me to feed them whole too, although in the wild there isn't anyone crushing them or pulling the snails out of their shells for them! I only feed the canned shelled ones as treats sometimes or to entice a picky eater. And besides that, I like snails and couldn't possibly kill one. Skinks can more than likely digest bricks with their systems and all the crap they eat in the wild, but something with a shell...just frightens me. I am beyond overprotective though.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”