Vet Trip in Extreme Cold

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SleepySkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Vet Trip in Extreme Cold

Postby SleepySkink » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:43 am

I have a vet appointment for my Halmahera, Harley, this Thursday. However it will be -20F. Any advice on how to safely take him? I did read through the discussion on traveling in cold weather, but wanted advice in taking an extra step.

My idea is to put his traveling carrier into a cooler with heat packs, so he doesn't get exposed to the chill. Does this sound viable? The lid will be propped open in the car and the vet office. I won’t be outside very long and will be keeping my vehicle warm.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Vet Trip in Extreme Cold

Postby Janella » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:19 pm

That should be fine. You could even cover the whole thing with a extra thick blanket to help too. Good luck
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 am

There are 12v heatpads available .
https://reptileone.com.au/products/heating/46532

Worth seeing if something similar is available from the local pet shop, the vet may even have some and be willing let you borrow one for the journey to the vet and back home again .

These pads simply plug into the socket the cigarette lighter in your car is in , you might even have 12V accessory sockets in the car for things like car fridges .
SleepySkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby SleepySkink » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm

Sadly i cant find that type of heat pad anywhere.

It ended up being -35F but it stayed about 90F in the cooler with the warmers. For being from Petco he got a mostly clean bill of health. I was right that he was going to have parasites and is on a course of dewormer.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”