New owner (and unsure of species?)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Dutchie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New owner (and unsure of species?)

Postby Dutchie » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi!

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new bts owner. I picked up my first bts a few days ago, she's an adult and seems to be handling the move really well.
Her previous owner said she's an indosian (tiliqua gigas), but after seeing pictures of the different species I'm not so sure. Can anyone help me id her, so I can make sure I have the right care for her?

Her name is Lizzo, she's 2,5 years old and about 16/17 inches. Her previous owner also said she has quite a bright orange/salmon belly, however I haven't seen it yet as she's about to shed so her colors are duller than usual.

lizzo.jpg
Lizzo1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: New owner (and unsure of species?)

Postby mb606587 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:08 pm

She's a Merauke and she looks to be humidity deprived. Make sure you have a digital hygrometer and aim to keep the enclosure at a minimum of 50%, along with a daily misting from a spray bottle or fogger. Most keepers recommend 60%-80% for this subspecies.
Dutchie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dutchie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:54 am

mb606587 wrote:She's a Merauke and she looks to be humidity deprived. Make sure you have a digital hygrometer and aim to keep the enclosure at a minimum of 50%, along with a daily misting from a spray bottle or fogger. Most keepers recommend 60%-80% for this subspecies.

Thank you! She is significantly smaller than the Merauke usually described though.

Thanks for letting me know about the humidity! I do have an analogue hygrometer but obviously it isn't very reliable then, as it usually says around 70%. I'll make sure to get a digital. Just wondering, how can you tell she's humidity deprived? Just so I know what to look out for to see if she improves.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Not all Meraukes are gargantuan. I have a 2 year old male that is barely pushing 20". You can see the size disparity. And I say that because the scales, particularly on the face, look dry and rough.
20191020_140806.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”