They're here!!

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

They're here!!

Postby splashy07 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 am

Picked them up today, a trio of these adorable little skinks. Will post more as they learn to trust me and I don't have to take pictures through the glass anymore! Love them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coleyfgreene
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: They're here!!

Postby Coleyfgreene » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 pm

I can't wait to see more pics!!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:17 am

They look happy enough in their new digs , not convince the pellets used as bedding is a good choice though.I'll dig out my Brown " A guide to Australian Skinks in Captivity " tomorrow and see what Dr.Danny recommends.

What's that red pellety stuff ?

Water dish in there ?

Details :

Did the breeder tell you their actual species ?

Ages (are they all siblings , or mixed parents) ?

Gender mix ?

Have you given them names ?

How much do they each weigh ?

Nose to vent lengths ?

Nose to tip of tail lengths ?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 am

The setup is breeder recommended. Yes there is a water dish on the cool end in the corner. The pellets are oxbow wheat pellets. I use them for my shinglebacks also to keep their environment dry. If they accidentally ingest one it's fine. They are Egernia Stokesii. I have not named them or recorded any details as of yet. I am not going to disturb them for such things at this time. It is 67 degrees in my apartment and 90s in their cage, so that is where they will stay. They were born to unrelated parents August 2018, and they are littermates. They have not refused anything offered so far, as I was told by the breeder, they eat absolutely anything and everything. The breeder is a close friend, so I will be corresponding with him for any assistance needed for their care.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:25 am

Very cool splashy. I am quite envious of your collection.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 pm

splashy07 wrote:The setup is breeder recommended. Yes there is a water dish on the cool end in the corner. The pellets are. I use them for my shinglebacks also to keep their environment dry. If they accidentally ingest one it's fine. They are Egernia Stokesii. I have not named them or recorded any details as of yet. I am not going to disturb them for such things at this time. It is 67 degrees in my apartment and 90s in their cage, so that is where they will stay. They were born to unrelated parents August 2018, and they are littermates. They have not refused anything offered so far, as I was told by the breeder, they eat absolutely anything and everything. The breeder is a close friend, so I will be corresponding with him for any assistance needed for their care.

oxbow wheat pellets are a new one to me …

The species' range : https://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid ... 6e9600f56e

Have you tried dropping a couple of crickets / roaches in for them to chase down ? I know some people who have these , they LOVE crickets and woodies (roaches) , mealworms and bsfl and will take these from the hand .
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:50 am

I breed all my own insects. They get all the roaches and superworms they want. I don't like to use crickets as they are cannibalistic, eat their own dead and therefore can spread disease. I do not breed them. I only use insects I produce as I know what my bugs are being fed.
Oxbow wheat pellets are marketed as a bedding for all types of animals. The easiest on the planet to keep clean and dry. I previously used alfalfa pellets for my shinglebacks but they had a really grassy type odor that gave me allergies (just about everything does) so I switched over to these.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:30 am

Just saw this post. Love the Egernia Stokessi, they are on my list of future reptiles for sure! I would love to see updates as they grow. Nice habitat set up!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks! If I produce any in the future I'll be sure and let you know! Your little man dropped his first sperm plugs already! He thinks he is going into season, too as he is tearing up the cage daily....
Boys will be boys!

Return to “Other Skink Species”